Today's ROAD ride

Re:

It's rolling really, Neil.

Making the most of the good weather before it turns

mtb tomorrow!

Once the completely unnecessary hangover had subsided, I got a lift from the wife to the Campsie Fells on the North side of Glasgow.

Parked up outside Wheelcraft, home to this part of Scotland's most famous wheelbuilder, Big Al Gow.
IMAG0861_zpsj9bt8vrq.jpg

Sent the wife and kids in the direction of the woodland walk whilst I headed up and over the Crow Road and down the other side, which is much steeper. This was one of Robert Millar's training runs where he would do reps of the hill all day long. The Lennoxtown side of the Crow is long at around 6km of constant up, but its only about 5%

8bddd-crow_road_zpsfsaovmwo.jpg

Embarrassingly, I completely forgot to take snaps whilst actually on the ride, so the pic above has been shamelessly plundered from t'internet. It looked exactly like that today though!

Back down to Clachan of Campsie and coffee and cake at the cafe next door to Wheelcraft. The Concorde has now lost ass hatchet saddle and gained a Flite Flow...white of course...

Not even 25 miles including a warm up and down along the Glen (valley) road, but over 600m of climbing.

IMAG0858_zps4qtsdihl.jpg

I think this will be the last outing for the Durano's pictured as they've suddenly developed a lot of cracks all over them. There was also a strange speed wobble today that I didn't get last week... but it may have been my hangover rather than the bike.

Greats roads and looked like you had the weather for it as well, Jack.

I was out down Inverness way yesterday for the Pedal On Parliament ride and the weather was a bit damp at times and certainly cold. :)
Brian (epicycle) and myself were there and as it wasn't very long we ended up riding all afternoon down the Loch and back up the canal. This was after drying out and waiting for the rain to stop while we had a bit of lunch in Velocity café. No retro for me as I was on my Big Dummy.
Hopefully out today after Leige but it's been raining all morning, so a bit of dampness on the cards :(

Jamie

DSCN3742 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Dragged myself out early for a road ride today, out the door at just after six ! :shock:

I love the spring, lambs,

IMG_1066 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

bluebells,

IMG_1069 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

And if you're lucky, some of the larger local residents.

IMG_1070 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1068 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

A rolling route, along mostly quiet, traffic-free roads. :cool:

Now, to watch the race. ;)

Mike

Very nice Mike :) You guys down south certainly seem to have better weather than us this weekend.
Watching the race and hopefully a ride afterwards.

Jamie

Re:

I hope the weather is better for you, Jamie! ;)

Was very cloudy when I was riding, those horrible grey ones! Thankfully stayed dry though. Changeable here now, sunny one minute, big heavy clouds the next.

ANYONE but Valverde will go down well mate!

Mike

No on the road photos today as I wasn't anywhere you guys ain't seen before.

Part of yesterday's speed wobble appeared to be a tyre that was losing air as it was pancaked this morning.

Swapped tyres...well, wheels actually... as was feeling lazy and thought changing wheels would be quicker. However, not just changing tyres proved a false economy as the back wheel had a wobble of its own that was needing fixed! I then faffed about looking for the head unit for the new computer I got on Friday :x

Finally left nearly an hour after I'd planned when I woke up this morning!

What do we think of the silver rimmed look?

IMAG0862_zpsxlzm42kg.jpg

A few miles out, I discovered what the other half of yesterday's speed wobble was... fork was flapping under braking and when I stopped to check, the headset had worked loose... Almost rattling loose! Tightened it up as best I could with a gloved had and turned back home.

Sorted it out and headed back out up and over the moor... all good.

Prefer the black wheels myself mate :) Not that the silver are bad but just had a look and the black gets it by a tiny margin.
Some days are just like that with the tyres, head unit etc. Just go with it ;)
Mike, take it you know by now ;) Some days you just can't get what you want

Jamie

Re:

Yes I agree, black looks better.

Sort it out! NOW! ! :LOL: :LOL:

Yes Jamie, I watched the race.
Thought Van Avermart was going to beat him, if the Cannondale rider didn't hang on, but once he started chasing down Martin, it was only going one way wasn't it? :roll: :facepalm:

The black ones went on originally because PDM ran with black rims. I had planned on trying silver rims, but the black ones looked "right" with the frame.

That opinion hasn't changed so I will indeed swap them over again for the next outing. I have a spare set of Campag hubs, so I'll build them up in black to go on this... although they'll add about 1.5 kilos to the weight!

Back