Maillard Freewheel Options

Pilotdavo

Retro Newbie
I have just finished doing up a Raleigh Royal.

2vlwnxt.jpg

I took it out for a spin and it's skipping on the rear sprockets (in the middle 2.3.4 gears). As I have a new chain on an old freewheel (Maillard 5 speed 14-32T) this can be expected I suppose. I have thoroughly cleaned and lubed the old freewheel and although it looks ok I can't get it to run smoothly under moderate loads. I've searched for a replacement but the ones I've found don't look any better.

1z1ea74.jpg

Does anyone know of a new part I could use to replace the worn freewheel to improve the situation? Thanks for any advice.

Re:

decathlon do a 5 speed freewheel (and 6's and 7's too) for about a tenner.
They are labelled shimano, but don't look like the proper pukka shimano freewheels I have used in the past, with lovely bearings and ratchets. They look like the Chinese copy ones in that brassy type colour.

14-28 cogs I think

But they're cheap and will do the job

Assuming it's not a Helicomatic hub (weirk key needed to unlock the freewheel) then any othBeware whether the smallest cog has sufficient space for a chain to clear the stays - a flattened chainstay by the dropout should give the necessary clearance.

Nice frame that! :)

A replacement 5 speed freewheel will give you a good enough spread of gears. Sunrace do a reasonably priced jobby i think.

Shaun

Re:

Man y of the cheap five speed freewheels on the market are much wider than the old types, The old freewheels from the sixties and seventies measures about 25 mm in with, many of the newer types measures around 28-29 total with. It seems like many manufacturer are using a 6-7 speed body for their 5 speed variants, just putting on fewer cogs. I have experienced clearance problems on some bikes, measure before you place orders.

Re: Re:

PerB":jhxqfozo said:
Many of the cheap five speed freewheels on the market are much wider than the old types, The old freewheels from the sixties and seventies measures about 25 mm in with, many of the newer types measures around 28-29 total with. It seems like many manufacturer are using a 6-7 speed body for their 5 speed variants, just putting on fewer cogs. I have experienced clearance problems on some bikes, measure before you place orders.

This is exactly what I've now discovered. The new Sun Race fw is too wide (approx. 28mm) to replace the original Maillard fw which measures about 24mm.

I need to find a replacement without ordering and returning freewheels as most sites don't state the hub width or have an option to ask the question!

Back