Holdsworth Special - Frame Rescue

Re:

Apologies- I believe my number is 034***, not 033*** as stated upthread, (frame not readily at hand atm) Whatever it is, you do have it already!

Typo is rectified now.. :)

Yes, Sorry I do remember now, found the frame and threads, good to speak to you again, Thanks.
I'll keep looking for pictures of break bridges for around 80/81 I guess mine must be around the change over point.

Finally sorted the typo, had to go back to the first post and do it from there.

Found two late 70's Specials without brake bridge boss, but they don't have the gear and brake cable guides either. I can only conclude that some time during 1980/81 these were added still not sure why mine does not have the boss, guess it wasn't a clean change over.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 489
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 489
Finally got the BB lock rings out, LHS came out with a better Hex drive and mallet. Supported frame on BB shell. The RHS had to be cut in the end and broken up.

Seat stem still well stuck in, going to have to think of more options as causing too much damage to top of tube and lug.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 477
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 477
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 477
  • Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 477
  • Capture6.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 477
Seat stem still soaking, got some bits for temporary and full frame repair.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 432
Well, I would guess the decision of what to do is a bit of a moving target. Advantages of both - a true winter beater as mentioned somewhere versus restoring a very good frame to its former glory. I understand both views.

Assuming the stuck post comes out without destroying the frame, I personally would find it difficult after all the thinking and work thus far and in process developing a bond with the bike, not to restore it fully. Might just brake even if eventually put up for resale! However my practical side would say build her up with clamp on bits you have to see how it fits and feels and then decide if a keeper.

Re:

Yes, that's the current plan. Assuming it is still usable when finished I would like to see how much better than the current winter bike it would be. Also being a small frame it might get used by my daughter who keeps threatening to go out with me. My current MBK frame could best be described as a sturdy frame ideal for winter use, it is more accurate to say heavy and slow. To be fair it may also be due to tyre choice and other equipment. The Special frame will be lighter and the rest of component made a faster bike when on the 531c Rayleigh frame, so will be interesting to see the result. A full restoration may well have to wait, particularly as it will wreck the paint; not a great color but very usable.

By the way is the caustic soda a serious suggestion or am I having a sense of humor failure?

Re:

Caustic soda? Coca Cola? Personally I'd rather take my chances with a hacksaw blade, but each to their own..

Btw that blue 'Special' pictured upthread seems to have a 'post '82' Reynolds decal (with the TI logo at the bottom) so the plot thickens regarding brake bridges- maybe they just sporadically ran out of the usual ones and used these instead?

There's a recipe on Classic Lightweights site for use of caustic soda (lye or NaOH) So... must be legitimate:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/seatpin-rest.html

You tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dYnSVVDxrE
I think this fellow is a trifle careless. I'd wear a full face mask, (if get in eyes and could destroy your corneas) heavy rubber gloves, rubber boots, respirator and heavy clothes while doing outside. Probably better to use strength suggested on CL site. Concoction u tube guy used looked pretty potent!

Might strip the powder coat off your frame - I used to use Lye as an antique finish stripper.

Gives off hydrogen gas so better put out your cigarette!

Back