Addition to my retro collection

Mattyboy

Dirt Disciple
I was very pleased to get this last week from 2 streets away for 79 quid :)

Record Ace Moderne with 653 frameset, Mavic MA40 and full Sante groupset. 54.5cm CT Seat tube.

I was 18 when this bike was on the market for £510 and there was no way I or any of my friends could own such a high end machine.

I was riding a Puch Everest Tourer at the time and then when that got nicked, a Raleigh Sprint :0

The seat post is hopelessly stuck and after much effort including hack-sawing through on opposite sides inside lengthwise to no avail I think I will have to get the post machined out by an engineering shop :(

That notwithstanding, its still a lovely thing in not bad condition and I've bought it for a few friends who are a lot shorter than me so they can join me on weekend ride-outs when they visit from other parts of the country :)

Attachments

• 20170312_201300a.jpg
    20170312_201300a.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 684
What a bargain!
Great when things just work out and looking at that, they really worked out. Looks great to me, looks like it needs a seatpost bolt and the stem lowered to a safer level, but I can imagine that will clean up really nicely.
Lucky man, enjoy!

Jamie

Re:

The quill is now set on the max line so is at a safe level :)

I removed the seat bolt for the purposes of removing the seat post :)

Once the corroded seat post is successfully removed I will give the bike a full clean and service with new cables, new bar tape and some PDA 600 pedals

I'll post a photo when she is road ready

Matty :)

Re: Frame number

The only frame number I can find is on the bottom of the BB to one side and it is simply: 1543

I'd love to know the significance of this if anyone can enlighten me.

Thank you
Matty

Back