Today's ROAD ride

Looks great Big Foz, both machine and view :)
Life is certainly good with this weather, long may it continue mate.
Happy riding

jamie

Re:

As I said elsewhere yesterday, Scotland in spring.... heaven.

Wonderful pictures both, thanks.

BigFoz":wn81sge3 said:

Where was this taken BigFoz ? The Braes or Eaglesham moor ?

We should try and get a wee social ride one evening when the days get longer. There's you , me , 47p2 and Jackosbournejnr who all seem to ride in roughly the same area.

I was out West in Renfrewshire and Inverclyde today. No photos unfortunately.

just about bonked due to getting slightly lost and having had nothing except coffee until 3pm!

Greggs in Paisley got hammered!

Hawmaw":34je2uk9 said:
BigFoz":34je2uk9 said:

Where was this taken BigFoz ? The Braes or Eaglesham moor ?

We should try and get a wee social ride one evening when the days get longer. There's you , me , 47p2 and Jackosbournejnr who all seem to ride in roughly the same area.

Wee lane between Dunlop and Uplawnmoor. There are some nice bits of tarmac back there. Dunno why because the rest of the roads are in shocking state... I'm based in Stewarton, so lots of good riding nearby.

Re:

Despite the wet forecast, today was lovely all day.

So with the northern classics on, I had to bring out my '90s classic, with period kit.

WP_20170401_14_53_53_Selfie(1) by Mike Murray, on Flickr

So along through Littlehampton, and up to Barnham, the plan was to make hay in the moderate south westerly wind on the longest stretch. Up to Fontwell, crossing a thankfully quiet A27, and on to Slindon and the top of Bury Hill.

WP_20170401_15_21_06_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Down the other side, long descent on a fairly big road, got up to 69km/h. Couldn't make 70, my bottle went :facepalm: :oops:
After which I turned east at Watersfield - I think - and on to Greatham. Wasn't feeling the wind assistance. Turned out to be a southerly, and therefore crosswind for the longest stretch. :facepalm:
Up past Pulborough Brooks nature reserve, and on to West Chiltington. No photos here. The posh people don't allow it! :LOL: :LOL:
Then along the lovely named Spithandle Lane.

WP_20170401_16_14_58_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

It's a lovely road, quiet and twisty, sometimes see deer as I'm riding along it. But they need to re-surface it SOOOOO bad! Not just a layer of loose gravel either!

Through Steyning, past the tea rooms we were ejected from last week :evil: and onto the Downs Link. This was a railway, between Shoreham and Guildford. Now a gravel track between the two.

WP_20170401_16_36_38_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Still better surfaced than Spithandle though :roll:

Then back home for a quick stretch, shower and cat nap! :facepalm:

In all, 82km of rolling roads. Just don't ask the average speed. :oops:

Ready for a day on the sofa watching Flanders tomorrow, now! :cool:

Hope you enjoy the race folks ;)

Mike

Re:

Sounds and looks like a great ride out Mike.
The views and some of those roads look pretty good and the weather looks far better than I have seen for this week up here.
No photos from me today. I was out and rode a loop to Thurso to get some ball bearings for the wheel I am rebuilding for the Jack Taylor and also to meet Heather and Caleb for a coffee and cake as they had gone to town earlier. I left home and it was really sunny, quite a few clouds about but it hadn't rained since early hours of the morning. Pulled the Mercian down, put the wheels on, checked everything and as it is only a few hour round trip to town I thought, short sleeve, rain jacket in back pocket. Debit card, phone and camera, no tube, tools or water bottle as the Mercian is still in mock up mode, as it has been for the last 6 months :LOL: hey! it works.
As I was about 3 mile or so from Thurso, I crested a rise and as far as I could see in front and to the sides it was raining heavily and was closing in rapidly :eek: All I thought was what to do with my phone and camera as it was obvious I was about to get very wet, remembered my jacket so saved the valuables and rode into town in torrential rain. Got my bearings and a long chat, nearly bought a new dry Endura jersey that was on sale and then had a long afternoon tea sitting in the café on the nice sofa watching the rain come down. Very civilised with scones and coffee :)
Was raining and cold and with not being able to see across the water and with it clearly not breaking up I jumped in the broom wagon :cry: :oops: ;)
Was certainly nicer at home than towards town so took the dog out for an hour or so.
Looking forward to tomorrows race for sure.

Jamie

Re:

They have been threatening rain all week. None came!

Glad to hear that you avoided the drenching that was threatening your ride mate.

One of these days, I'll stop for tea and cake. Makes it all the more pleasurable. Just wanted to get back, as my legs were going. After stopping for the last photo, I could feel them stiffening up as I got back on the bike :oops:

No Muur tomorrow, I guess? :roll:

I still got a bit of a soaking but it could have been worse :)
Today though, started quite wet once again so I settled in to watch the Tour of Flanders, thought I would watch the start and then go for a ride, come back and watch the end. That plan went out the window as things heated up and it was clear that the Dyer houses favourites, Tom Boonen and Philippe Gilbert were working together near the front and were soon in the break. So after a mammoth couple of hours watching the race live and cheering Gilberts win I thought I better get my backside out and put a few miles in. So circular route was devised and the Merckx was readied, seen as it was Tour of Flanders and it is after all, my Sunday best :) . Sun was out and it was a lovely couple of hours out just riding for the enjoyment of just riding, great way to close a nice afternoon. Merckx was it's usual flawless self.
Hope everyone else had a nice Sunday and hopefully managed a ride.

Jamie

DSCN3636 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3644 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3639 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Look Ma' no hands ;)
DSCN3640 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3642 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3650 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3652 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3660 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back