Help identifying a 1970s Raleigh frame please

Stevevaio

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone.

I was warned this retro business was addictive. I've just restored a 1971 Condor to use in this years Eroica, not content with that, I've bought a Raleigh frame to build up and keep the Condor company.
The frame number shows it to have been built at Worksop in 1979. My question relates to the actual model. I've found photos of team models from the late 70's/early 80's showing many shared features with my new frame but also enough differences to prevent me to pinning it down to a specific model.
My frame has a lug from a brazed on front mech, does anyone know when Raleigh started fitting these?

Any help or opinions will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 906
  • Btm bracket.jpg
    Btm bracket.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 906
  • Seat lug.jpg
    Seat lug.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 906
I think the lack of transfers, lack of head badge, the fade colour scheme and the features such as the front derailleur fitting mean you need to consider this to be a repaint. The frame number of '9' was repeated and could mean 79 or 89 but the rear ends, seat stay design and brake fittings definately indicate 79. I wouldn't have expected to see a front derailleur braze fitting on a standard Raleigh frame until 81/82. Most of the 78/79/80/81 models I've seen have band on derailleurs. All the models in the 1982 catalogue such as the Team Replica and Gran Sport show band on derailleurs.

However, if the paint is nice, what you do have is a good condition frame that just needs a transfer set and will make the basis of a nice build.

Neil

Frame looks like a 79 Carlton Pro with Portacatena dropouts which has had the front mech brazed on and the rear cable stop moved during refinishing. The over BB cable guides seem to be missing too.

Carlton-Pro-1978.jpg

Shaun

If it is a Carlton Pro (which I have a sneaking suspicion it is underneath) then it will have a really nice ride. Carlton geometry was always nice and I rode a few back in the day. I actually have one in the garage to try and resurect...

And here's one being ridden in anger :)

2vv5aon.jpg

Shaun

looks like the same lugs as my 1977 Carlton Pro ,but this frame has brase ons for the gear leavers , it may be a Raleigh lightweight from the late 80s, if it is a Carlton pro it will be a super ride, I stopped riding carbon after riding the Pro, best bike ive ever had.

The Raleigh lightweights had thinner stays at the seat cluster, different forks and other differences.... It's a Carlton / Raleigh Pro :).

It's a mk5 pro, later paint and additions, subtractions. I'm working on one at the mo which left Raleigh by dubious means and has a different fork and braze ons it shouldn't have.

Latest posts

Back