Raleigh Gran Sport respray - |Pearl Caramel colour?

Commanderrb

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Slowly working through the collection I'm now rennovating an '82 Gran Sport - the bike I'd dreamed off as a youngster (and could only afford the Rapide).

Matching the colour is proving elusive - "Pearl Caramel" - don't suppose anyone has been down this route and found a car-match/BS ref/RA number etc - I'm struggling to find anyone who will colour match though plenty are happy to work off a colour I give them.

Any recommendations for a sprayer, North West ideally, taken too - last one I had done (won't say who...) managed to mis align the decals a bit and the finish wasn't great, need the Gran Sport perfect. I need the forks re-chroming too and prices seem to vary incredibly for this

Re:

Hello

I have all the original paperwork for this bike and I have checked it for you. The only reference to the colour I can find is that it is called "Pearl Caramel" and has a part number or code of 117 1. I have photos of the paperwork on line at;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16704837@ ... 6133257115

The two painters I've used are Atlantic Boulevard and Mercian. Both did a good job. No idea for chroming although I think both the above people can arrange this for you. You can get decals off ebay but I cant vouch for the quality.

Please let us know how you get along. I have an 82 Gran Sport and remember lusting after it in the Raleigh catalogue when I was 13.

Can you post some photos?

Blacktopdisciple - incredibly useful that, and for more than just the colour, thank you. The 171 1 reference is actually really helpful, I think its referring to a pantone colour and has narrowed down a few suitable choices. I'll get some pictures off my phone and up - I'm rubbish at recording bikes as I do them up, all I've got is a handful when it was delivered - its down to a frame now.

Dorset Boy - that is lovely, don't tell me that's original! If so where do people find bikes i that condition, everything I pick up needs a complete spray and usually a few dents sorting to boot.

Re:

Found a tatty one at the tip which was too small but had a complete group on it,paid a tenner.Then a couple of weeks later one was advertised in the paper in my size for £25. I had the forks rechromed I respoked the wheels and got new brake hoods,the paintwork was good just some wear where a luggage rack was fixed to it.The usual new cables, bar tape etc,so all in all it didn't cost a fortune and that colour is admired everywhere.
Mike.

Back