F C Parkes /Sun bicycles frame numbers question

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
Hoping some one maybe able to help with this please.
My Sun Manx tt has this number stamped on its rear drop out .
Track end on Sun Manx tt by rebalrid, on Flickr

Is this a Parkes number or a Sun one . {Both owned by the same family} .

Reason for asking is I have read Sun never made a Fixed wheel rear facing drop out for this Model? It has a Sun head badge .
It was re painted in the 70's by Carlton at Worksop{info from previous owner.}
If not what have I here.Sun Manx tt. by rebalrid, on Flickr
Forks are not original to the frame so any number on them does not help.
Thank you for any input.

Re:

Hi, the 'L' is the key, this stands for the Lightweight shop, so it was where the better frames / one off's were made ( Sun and Parkes ), the Manx TT stopped being made around the 'S' or 'T' ( 1951 ish ), you need to check the catalogues. The bike was designed for time trials, it was common request to a builder to have rear facing dropouts at the that time, so why won't it have, as it was not a mass produced product. A fine machine. Thanks Terry

I concur S would indicate around 1951, I have Sun frame of a similar vintage.

Re:

I would have thought cast head lugs and head clip would be late 40s. By 1951 this would be well out of date.

Keith

Re:

Hi, just to keep this thread on track, the first digit is the year and the second and sometimes 3rd alphanumeric is the Sun workshop designation or model. I've attached a dropout from a 1952 Sun Wasp which was made with early Nervex pro lugs, not Sun's basic later copy. Terry

Attachments

• sun_wasp_52.png
    sun_wasp_52.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,247
Re:

Thank you Terry . You have given me an idea . I might try and pull all the pictures and information together on the Manx tt model . A few to go at on the web . Gathering it up should be interesting . I like the design as it is different .

Back