Raleigh Serial Number deciphering

chrisbro77

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I've just picked up an old Raleigh racer I think from the early 80's.

The very rough paint is in the team colours of red with black head tube but it has no decals to identify it by, when I got home I took a picture of the serial number on the bottom of the bottom bracket

I think at most it'll be a EUROPA or an ACE..... of what i've found out R is Canada, G is May and 2 is 1982. it would be nice to find out what model it exactly is but if i can't i'll do a team replica...

Any help would be grateful.

cheers
chris

Re:

mmmmm now looking at it.... seems very neat could well be a 90's police stamp...

will have to look over the bike for any other numbers... cheers

The plate for a kickstand wasn't a consistent Raleigh feature ontheir road frames. The number might be hidden under the seat tube beneath the seat bolt. Any other pictures of the frame itself?

Shaun

Will get more photos tomorrow, just had a quick look out in the garage for numbers by the top of the seat tube and I saw NK20-23737.

So Nottingham July 1982 I think....

is there anyway of finding out what the 23737 means ?

The last digits of the raleigh standard numbering system were simply the unique serial numbers..........kept the bean counters happy :)

Shaun

Re:

Just taken a few pictures....

it's a 12 speed, I think a touring judging by the forks. But I haven't seen one with those black plastic cable clips on the top tube.

chris

Resurrecting an old thread here...

I've recently acquired a Raleigh Royal. Based on the spec and frame colour I'm pretty sure it's a 1989 model. FWIW, the bike is black with a silver head tube and fitted with an Exage Biopace triple at the front. The rear wheel and cassette is not original so no point listing that.

Anyway, I thought I understood the Raleigh S/N convention but not with this bike as the no. is B25023. Can anybody enlighten me on how to interpret those numbers please.

Thanks, yes I have seen it before and it was that which gave me an understanding of the Raleigh convention up until a date shortly before I believe my bike was made!

I'm struggling to find anything covering a later period...

Back