Campag triple with Token BB

BigFoz

Retro Guru
Ok, I'm was using a Record triple on my training bike, on a Token ST BB.
The non drive crank kept loosening. I've checked everything and everything looked normal - I tried a second Record crank arm, and it did same thing. I swapped the Token BB for a Centaur BB from the spares box (actually a 111mm double, where the Record is a 102double/111triple - seems to work perfectly)

I've now installed the Token into my new Retro build (a 3x9 Campag Veloce with Downtube levers on a Carlton Clubman). Before I put miles on it and potentially suffer the same issues, is there a difference between the taper on the Token, and a Campag BB? If so I'll source another BB for it. Seems a shame though as the Token is almost brand new and was bought to take the Record triple as it's actually a "11mm Triple" BB for Campag Record!

Any advice gratefully received. I swapped the BB out quite quickly and seem to have no residual damage as the Record C/S is running beautifully on the Centaur BB, with no repeat of the loosening issue.

Campag and JIS tapers share a common taper angle, although the Campag has a slimmer tip. It sounds to me as though the Token BB has a machining error on the taper.

I bought a Token BB on the basis it was an ISO taper compatible with Campag but it was obvious just comparing the tapers by eye to a genuine Campag one that they were different. Fitting the cranks hand tight revealed that they didn't go on as far. The supplier was very good in terms of measuring and comparing tapers and on paper it seemed like the difference should be negligible but in the end I did the same as you and bought a Centaur 111mm double for my Chorus triple. The Campag Chorus/Record 111mm BBs are asymmetric with a 1mm offset whereas the Centaur is symmetric. I used a spacer to offset the Centaur double.

The Token is a nice unit so I didn't send it back in the end, I'm sure it will come in useful for something eventually.

Mark.

Back