favourite value-for-money tyres?

I have just built up some nice new Mavic Open Elites (used to be Open Sport - the only difference is the sticker) for my all-weather beast, and I am in need of some new tyres. I use it for everything throughout the year - fast commutes and long rides, with little bits of muddy canal towpath every now and then.
I'm after something fast and reasonably p*ncture resistant, for no more than about £50 max, in 23-28mm. Folding bead would be ideal for ease of puncture repair when the inevitable happens.
At the moment I have some horrible bright yellow Vittorias (I didn't buy them) which may as well not be pneumatic if ride quality is anything to go by, and have very poor grip around corners, but do seem to be fairly p*ncture proof.
I am partial to the look of a tan/gum wall tyre, but I don't know if that makes them more vulnerable to p*nctures?
What's your tyre of choice for this kind of thing?

Cheers
James

I have a stash of Michelin Pro 4 Endurance which are currently £21.99 including a tube at CRC.

Brilliant tyre for on-road use. At that price, its also a bargain.

For that kind of riding I mostly use the Panaracer Pasela TG folding tanwalls. Not the cheapest, but dependable, very light and classic-looking. Have them on several touring bikes and use them exclusively for Eroica-style ventures. Keep them at the recommended pressure and don't put them on non-hooked rims.

Which reminds me I need to order a new set for the bike I'm building for this year's L'Eroica in Gaiole ... :D

I'd second the Pro4 Endurance. Bought some in 28c for my son's bike for a tour last summer, I've since used them all winter. Only a single cut and one flat. They also emerged unscathed from a really rough off-road section whilst touring.

See Bicyclerollingresistance.com as they are also faster than the usual reference, Conti GP4Seasons!

Re:

Interesting comments on the Miclelin pro4 endurance . I will try these next time i by a pair of tyres .
I have been using Continental gators and or harshells for a long time . I have had the odd issue with the side wall . Not enough to stop me using them . However the pro 4 reviews read well .

Definitely the sidewalls are much sturdier than GP4s or Gators. Usually with the Contis I have damaged the sidewall before wearing out or terminally holing the tread. Definitely I'm a convert - there was a similar conclusion in the Audax UK FB group.

I stopped using Conti's 20 years ago after multitudinous failures. Used higher end Schwalbe for several years but am now back where I started with Michelin.

Haven't found a tyre as fast or versatile as the Pro 4 with anywhere near its durability. The Schwalbe One is close but its more a race day special than a fit, forget and love-wearing-it-out-er.

I would try the pro 4 - i've had great experiences with the old pro 2s - but the price is a bit too high. I know it is worth it long-term, but I am operating on a student budget

james_from_stoke":1u6wu22t said:
I would try the pro 4 - i've had great experiences with the old pro 2s - but the price is a bit too high. I know it is worth it long-term, but I am operating on a student budget

Okay, next best thing if you can't stretch to £44 is the Michelin Lithion

23 mm http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mich ... prod119601

There are also a couple of colour options in 23mm. Sadly 25mm is sold out

CRC also do a pair of tyres AND a pair of tubes, but charge you a pound extra for the bundle!

Absolute bargain for a very robust and fast tyre for commuting or general scooting about.

Back