help identifying frame

artfulflounder

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys picked this up recently.

The old chap i purchased it from said he thought it was a Holdsworth and put the decals on after powder coating.
However after looking at the frame numbers i dont think this is the case.

Holdsworth, claud and Falcon i believe all had history with each other so could it be something from them?

20170222_192356_zpsoevn6deq.jpg

20170222_193112_zpsyioksvaq.jpg

20170222_192823_zpspbnhum80.jpg

20170222_192853_zpsfoeacp9x.jpg

20170222_192918_zpshqb3ik1a.jpg

20170222_193003_zpsymgwvwca.jpg

many thanks for any assistance.

It's not a Falcon San Remo 76 which was their frame with the flattened wrap over seat stays like that. Long dropouts and braze on for front mech don't seem to go together?

Shaun

Re:

Still new to the old retrobike thing. So been searching Google.
Think the rgf bb shell would make it 70s maybe, campy dropouts and braze on possibly smaller frame maker.
With frame number 006682 doesn't seem to fit in with any manufacturers I've tried to look up.

Would it help if I checked what threading on bb?

Edit: found a bit of info on holdsworth 6 digit frame numbers and 006682 would seem to from around 1977.

Yep, 70's Holdsworth Professional would fit the bil, with some changes to the braze ons a good few years later.

Shaun

Re:

Thanks for that guys.

The frame is too small for me so should I make it up as it stands with something like 600 ultegra stuff. Campy bits might be bit too dear for me then sell on.

Get it resprayed authentic holdsworth colours and sell on.

Or see if anyone wants to do an exchange for something .

Artfulflounder,

I agree looks like a mid 70's Holdsworth.

6 digit serial number with prefix 0's fits for a circa 1977 Holdsworthy factory frame.
See: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=362572

Looks to me like a 1977 Professional with Prugnat S lugs and few braze-ons and as said the ones present probably added or changed later as seat tube bottle bosses (kind of high), later style FD boss and under BB cable guides. Should be a bit of chrome on dropouts? '77 was last year for fully sloping crown (went ETDL in 197:cool: and might have been last year for classic team colors as stopped in 1978 for sure. Also '77 last year for longer Campagnoplo dropouts. Last year for metal head badge I believe was 1976. If you can measure angles was 75deg parallell for one year in '76 probably changing back to 74 deg in '77. Check out nKilgariff,com

Only thing slightly off putting to me is that the seat stay wrap over is a little wider than usual or is it camera affect? Certainly not a "Shop" pro.

Doug

Back