Narrow Five speed freewheel?

PerB

Old School Hero
I am currently building my 2017 Eroica ride, Its a 1967 Monark super continental 90320, Its equipped with the Campagnolo Record 151 BCD chainset, which has smallest 44-45 cogs possible, thus I am looking for a 14-28 freewheel, enabling me to climb the hills in Peak District.
Problem is, the old school freewheels, that fits nicely in the space available on the rear hub is around 25 mm (1") wide, those are Atom, Maillard, Regina etc. Yes I know there are old stock or secondhand narrow types available at ebay, but they are scarce in 14-28 and expensive.

Modern freewheels seems to be wider due to the fact they use a body from a 6 or 7 speed and just put on fewer cogs.
I checked with SJS cycles and their IRD and Sunrace alternatives are 29 and 31 mm wide, I also have an older Shimano 5 speed 14-28 freewheel in my drawer, that's also around 30mm wide, unfortunately that's to wide for my 120 mm spaced Monark frame. I have around 27 to 28 mm available from the flange on the hub to the inner side of the dropout with the current setup. No problems with the narrow old style freewheel, but its to narrow for the wider modern types I have checked so far.

Any suggestion for modern cheap freewheel that can fit? I don't want to spend to much on a freewheel that's likely to be used for only this event.
I can of course also move the hub over by using different spacers and lock-nuts and re-dish the wheel, but again for only one event I would rather avoid that.

Re:

I've got loads of freewheels,some fives,all my tat is boxed ad I'm moving this weekend.If you dont find anything pm me middle of next week.jm.

Re: narrow 5 speed

I am cycling LEJOG on 1966 woodrup and have same challenge. I am using a maillard course 19-34. I have sourced some cheap nos cogs from perima cycles Holland for 3 euros that enabled the gearing needed.my freewheel is about 25mm over the cogs

Re:

What gear mech have you got perB?
I assume campag to with your chain set. The nuvuo record I had struggled with a 28 - had to make a spacer that acted like a b-adjuster screw to push the mech back and away from the cogs

Re:

I am doing two Monarks at the same time, the bike I intent to use for Eroica Britannia has the older pre 1967 Record rear derailleur and the 151 BCD chain set., while the other one has the Nuovo Record and the 144 BCD chain set. Both bikes are most likely of 1967 production.

Yes I am aware of the problems to shift 28 cogs with the Campagnolo Record derailleurs, I have done it before with the Nuovo Record, and the old Gran Sport but this is a first for the older Record type. If I am not successful I will just move to the other Monark or find an Nuovo Record derailleur in the parts bin.

Also thanks for the tip on cogs from Holland, I have to check in my parts bin if I have any freewheel from Maillard suitable for the cogs they sell.

Back