Tyre suggstions for gravelly commute

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

I'm looking for some ideas for some decent, relatively low budget tyres for a commute over
mixed surfaces. About half the route is over gravelly forest roads. The bike is a cyclocross
bike so clearances are not really an issue.

I've found the following; any thoughts on these particular tyres would be welcome.

Challenge Gravel Grinder
Challenge Paris Roubaix
Challenge Strada Bianca
Schwalbe G-One
Panaracer Gravel King
Panaracer Pasela PT
Good old wide bead Panaracer Pasela (cheap!)

I've found some reviews of some of these, but not specifically for gravel. I am also dubious about classifying Paris-Roubaix tyres as suitable for gravel. E.g. Continental 4 season are good for cobbles but (in my experience) crap for gravel.

Cheers,

Johnny

Re:

If the gravel road you are riding is smooth and hard packed, any of the tires you are listing will do the job. I am riding gravel roads on Paris Roubaix with no problem. If the gravel road is course and soft, and with some muddy parts its a total different story, then I would go for one of the cyclo cross tires, by the way I am riding tubulars.

Re:

Commuting regularly on expensive tyres can get costly.Marathons would be my choise or even some cheaper Schwalbes.
You are going to catch a stone sometime and thicker sidewalls on the Marathons would be a benefit.

Schwable Marathons or Actives. Use both types with great success. The active saw me around Eroica last year on some pretty horrendous surfaces, the Marathons I use on my winter/commuting bike with is regularly laden down with panniers...

Re:

I've just started using Gravel Kings on my 'gravel' bike, so far they have handled everything from road to hardpack to wet gravel to muddy grassy surfaces with ease.

Mine are 35's, but there are a number of other sizes available.

The Pasela PT folding tyres in 28mm have become my default choice for anything serious. Not cheap, but nice and light, and so far they've been pretty much bomb-proof.

Re:

I have about 1200 miles on a set of Challenge gravel grinders and I really like the way they ride. I would recommend them whole heartedly if it were not for the fact I have 5 flats on them already this year. Great fast riding tires on dirt or road but I have to give them the thumbs down for commuting where flats are very inconvenient.

https://britcpower.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... rinders-2/

https://britcpower.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... pressions/

I think the Continental Speeds are a good mixed terrain commute tire and I have never flatted one (touch wood). The roll really well.

https://britcpower.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... oss-speed/

All these fancy new "gravel" tyres might be fine but are not needed. Gravel won't be short of grip. Just use the fattest road tyre, that has a decent puncture protection, that you can find for bugger all money. My most used bike does about 4000 miles a year on gravel or tarmac. The tarmac is at most 10% of the distance and most rides 5% or less. Any form of tread will wear out and the carcase between the knobblies is the weakest point. Run about 50psi for comfort or a bit more for efficiency and puncture proofing.

Latest posts

Back