Help Identifying Holdsworth Please

Here's my Roy Thame..

33ll2s8.jpg

Shaun

Re: Re:

twosheds":ybv8tjx1 said:
Yes the seat stays appear to be shot in lower down than the Fastback Super Mistral, more like those on a Raleigh Professional, but slightly different shape.

I'm not sure that the 73 actually means 1973 in the 4 digit number, - that would indicate that they didn't anticipate making more than 99 frames in the year. One of my Holdsworthy frames is number 8548 and it's a 1976 model.

-----
Bruce

Strange that my Roy Thame is a 75 year and N0 75480

Interesting......slightly different seat lug, as is my Roy Thame. I'm just curious as to who (the person) built the OP's frame :)

Shaun

So I am really non the wiser with regards this bike.

The universal brakes puts it around 1969 - 1976 but the Shimano Biopace chainset is around 1983.

The frame is a complete mystery to me as none of the advertised Holdsworth frames in the online catalogues look like this one.

Completely baffled.

Anyone got any more ideas? Does anyone recognise the brake levers and stem?

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 607
Hi Andrew,

I've been on another site wrt a thread started by a fellow trying to identify a frame that looks very much like yours. It has no badge (or holes) and has no apparent number making it impossible to know for sure, but suspicious re being an early 70's "Shop" Holdsworth. We are wondering if it is an unbadged Holdsworth that had perhaps been supplied to another shop.

One distinction is that his frame has a hole drilled in the rear of lower portion of seat lug. If yours has the same - that would likely identify both frames as built by same builder. Does yours also have an integral seat post bolt as was typical of Putney shop builds rather than Holdsworthy factory? I wonder?

Hopefully pictures attach. This is a little older thread so I hesitated to bump but tried sending a PM without response.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_4859-4.JPG
    IMG_4859-4.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 512
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 512
kingbling":2b7hz4so said:
Not at all I think Chas Roberts Cliff Shrub were some of their frame builders. Frame was made 73 going by the frame number. you can check out holdsworths history on classic lightweights

Charlie Roberts did build frames for Holdsworth (Charlie worked for Holdsworth but left in the mid 1960s) - I don't think this is one of his, neither does it appear - to me - to be a Shrubb. The cluster however is very Tom Board...seen this type before.

Jon.

bezz333":3cgfxueq said:
So I am really non the wiser with regards this bike.

The universal brakes puts it around 1969 - 1976 but the Shimano Biopace chainset is around 1983.

The frame is a complete mystery to me as none of the advertised Holdsworth frames in the online catalogues look like this one.

Completely baffled.

Anyone got any more ideas? Does anyone recognise the brake levers and stem?

Andrew

Stem is a GB, I recognise the levers but cannot put a make to them - I'll take a look in my Everything Cycling catalogues, and dangerous to date frames from components...

Jon.

Re:

I think the brake levers are Dia Compe Gran Compe (hence the GC). They came in various styles and drillings over the years.
Nick

Re:

Seems to be a mish mash of different era equipment
Yes that is what it is. It is certainly a '70s frame, and a nice one. I'd guess not later than '76. It is nice enough to wear a full collection of '70s Campag NR without embarrassment, if you so desire. You might want to keep the Universal brake calipers, Campag. gear levers, the bars, stem, seat post, saddle, pedals.... in fact the only items that seem to be glaring anachronisms on such a frame are the cranks, the gear mechs, and the brake levers.

Back