Single Speed Freewheel Removal Help Needed

There's also the freeze it in a bucket of ice approach, not seen the YouTube vid for years though lol

Shaun

Re:

Id make a jig to hold the body of the hub, and would pin the flange to it also.

eg-
Square piece of hardwood, drilled down the same diameter as the hub body.
Split that on the bandsaw, the saw kerf will allow it to tighten on to the body as i clamp it in the bench vice(joiners vice).

I'll experiment with the hole. A little wider to accomodate a rubber liner. I can make that from an innertube and use solvent to degrade the surface to make it sticky.
Being clamped up exactly with a few tons holding it.

With the flange resting on top of the block ill use small panel pins through the spoke holes to secure it more from trying to turn(when it would put strain on the body/flange junction)
They dont have to be in fully, or every single hole. Those will act like spokes and the wooden block and vice with act as the wheel you woud normally use for leverage. And obviously add a little more to counteract any twisting force.

Im no bad at problem solving. But was hoping here it was just a matter of using two wrenches opposing eachother, without having to go to the trouble of making something.

Imo, you are going to be relying on the panel pins to resist torque much more than on the interface of the wooden block with the hub barrel, however precisely fitted. You might want to think about the grain orientation of the wooden block- i.e.- you'd likely be better off not driving the panel pins into end-grain. You probably knew that already.. :)

Back