Carbon frame - bb housing repair?!

Re:

Without wishing to seem unkind, if your budget for a frame is thirty quid, i don't think carbon is the best choice as you'll be scratching around at the very bottom of quality and/or condition.
With that kind of money i'd go looking for an older good branded aluminium frame in original unrestored condition (so any flaws will be visible on inspection), or steel of course. You'll end up with a bike that's likely to be more durable and if you do your research and buy wisely, a decent alu frame won't be much heavier than an older / cheaper carbon frame. Hardly much performance difference for the average rider.

Re:

Hi

Doesn't seem unkind at all! I wasn't particularly setting aside any budget for a frame... I just saw it, advertised as complete and un damaged so thought I'd take a punt. I have decent Boardman Team road bike which I commute on, this was more of a "ooh that's cheap, think I fancy it as a project" purchase... I used to restore cars but don't have the space living in London, so really missing having something to build/bodge

Well I found this for a tenner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-BB30-BSA- ... AIOWFXYA4A

If it doesn't fit the frame I'll drill it out, bond it with permabond et500 and drill a couple of holes through the lip to secure it to the frame to prevent rotation.

Then, most likely, when it doesn't work I'll throw it in the bin.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Still waiting for these bits to arrive, but the seller gave me a full refund and let me keep the frame. And I managed to pick up a complete specialized allez with a damaged frame for 20 quid, everything else is fine - so my budget carbon build dreams may yet come true.

Back