Campy 8spd Carbon tubular wheels - rims and hubs?

dadoflam

Dirt Disciple
I want to build a set of traditional looking carbon tubular wheels to run on some 90’s bikes fitted with Campy 8 speed drivetrains. The carbon rims should give me some added stiffness and also provide the dark rims look of dark anodized rims but without the long term loss of finish that alloy rims suffer. I should also be able to drop a little weight as a bonus.

The challenge is bridging the gap between available rims and hubs in terms of drillings. To my knowledge Campy 8 speed rear hubs are limited to 32H and 36H. The highest drilling I can find in a rim is the older Enve 1.25 tubular rims which were available in 28H and seem to still be available around the place.

Is anyone aware of a 28H Campy 8spd compatible rear hub or 32H low profile carbon rim?

Thanks - looks very promising! - I see they do a 23mm tubular version in UD which would be along the lines of what I am thinking. Please let me know how you find them in use.

Re:

I think you're mad, but...

Get a Record 28h hub for threaded freewheels.
Change the axle to 130mm (it's easy, I did it for my ALAN build). You can use aftermarket: http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/wh ... 5x26-10x26 or try to find NOS (I did, but it took time). You'll need 2 x 2mm additional spacers, of course.
Use an 8-speed freewheel.

You'll probably bend the axle though, at some point.

Or get any 9/10/11 28h hub you like, buy a 9-speed cassette, buy or make some 3.25mm spacers and roll your own choice of 8 ratios. Wheels Mfg used to do a specific kit for this, but it's been discontinued.

Thanks 964Cup - Most guys I ride with who raced and maintained bikes in the 8spd era have told me not to bother with spacer kits as in their opinion the shifting was never as good. May be a plan B if I have no luck with Plan A.
I'm assuming the 'madness' is due to the unknown quality of the Nextie product?

dadoflam":32p710hl said:
Thanks 964Cup - Most guys I ride with who raced and maintained bikes in the 8spd era have told me not to bother with spacer kits as in their opinion the shifting was never as good. May be a plan B if I have no luck with Plan A.
I'm assuming the 'madness' is due to the unknown quality of the Nextie product?

Nextie seem to have a good reputation, especially in their development of fat bike rims.

I have no concerns to date with my dealings with them of the asthetics of the product, my wheel builder had no concerns either.

Note that I have some campy boras to use a a comparison and in some respects (I am surprised I am saying this !), the Nexties compare favourably - particularly around 'hidden' areas like the drillings under the rim tape / tyre etc.

Yes, I still need to ride them though ... :LOL:

WD :D

Back