Identify a Dawes?

Mules

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks
While on the hunt for parts for my Holdsworth, much to the delight of my other half, I acquired an old Dawes.
I thought I might be able to use the mudguards, brakes & brake calipers and the saddle (B15 Brooks) for the Holdsworth (reckoned it was worth a punt for £ 25, given the cost of bits piecemeal on eBay).
Anyway, Have decided to keep it intact as, though the paintwork looks a bit rough (it's been handpainted at some point), all the original bits seem to be there.
From what I can make out, components as follows -
-Dawes frame, unidentified, headbadge from mid-60's
-Dawes headset
-Williams cranks
-GB Coureur brakes
-GB brake levers
-5 Speed Huret Svelto rear derailleur
-Normandy hubs
-Brooks saddle (B15)
-No serial number by rear dropout. There appears to be one stamped at the seat stem - LS 7130
-Port/valve on BB

No idea as to what the model is - was thinking it might be a realm-rider. Can anybody help?

Pics show it with wheels taken off (for transporting home).

Can anybody place it? (besides in a skip)

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 1,380
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,377
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,377
  • d4.jpg
    d4.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,378
  • d5.jpg
    d5.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,382
  • d6.jpg
    d6.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 1,383
Re:

The lugs are identical to a Dawes Dominant frame I have, which I know nothing about time wise. I know it might be the forerunner of Reynolds 531, with Accles & Pollock tubing used by Dawes.

I haven't a head badge to compare, that went a long time ago apparently, from what I can gather from its previous owner.

Not sure about being able to identify it from a frame number, if anyone does know, I'd be interested as well.

I'd be tempted to gently sandpaper off some of the black paint and look for some decals.

Shaun

Thanks folks,
Followed both bits of advice and stumbled upon a couple of things.
A bit of googling on the Dominant led me to a copy of the 1955 catalogue, which I glanced at but set to one side as I was being led by the post-1965 derailleur. Though the frames and set-up looked similar.

Then, following up on the suggestion to sand back some paint, it started to reveal a Tartan decal underneath. (pic attached). So this brought me back tot he 1955 catalogue and the Tartan Tourer & Clansman bikes.

Also, following another quick google, I came across somebody quoting their serial number for the same bike, up by the seat stem, as 7552, saying it was bought in 1952/53. My serial number is 7130, so it could be in line with that period.

If you look at the pic of the gear lever above, you'll see some form of lug just above it. I had been wondering what this was and am now thinking that the Huret lever and derailleur might be a bit of a red herring. Maybe there was something else there originally. I'll have another decent potter with it tonight to see if there are decals on the forks and if there it was a Clansman or Tartan.

thanks a million for your help, I quite enjoy some of this sleuthing,

Gerry

Attachments

• daw.jpg
    daw.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,289
If you want to remove that black topcoat try nail polish remover (or better yet, acetone) first, rather than going at it immediately with sandpaper.

The 'lug' as you call it was/is a boss for the original gear lever which would have probably been for a Benelux or Simplex lever. It should have a 'sticky-out' bit that the lever pivoted on but someone cut off! The rear dropouts don't give a clue what the original rear mech might have been as far as I can see.

Interesting find whatever. Might be tricky getting it back to the original paint scheme but probably worth the effort.

Re: Identify a Dawes? - Clansman / Tartan Tourist 1956

El10":3qg0vype said:
Is there a date code on the Williams cranks?

Thanks!
After a small bit of scrubbing and a lot of squinting (the cranks are in surprisingly good nick once the muck is taken off), the tiny Williams "hallmark" puts them at 1956!

Much appreciated!

Tried the acetone but it wasn't really shifting, I'll try again and then set about some gentle sanding to determine if a Clansman or Tartan. As things stand, I can't get replacement decals for either and I that black paint won't come quietly with any effort to remove it.

Will keep you posted
Thanks again!

@mules Did you get any further with this?
I am trying to decipher Dawes serials, yours is quite interesting as the serial is located on the seat lug (till roughly 1956) and the lugs point to mid 50s as well... An L-serial would point to 1950 though, so I am a bit confused and wondered if you made any progress.

Tia, Rogier

Latest posts

Back