1988 & 89 Specialized Sirrus & Allez advice please.

16vGTI

Retro Guru
Hi, I have set my mind on trying to find a Specialized road bike from either 1988 or 1989. It would become my main bike & would be used weekly as well as touring holidays, probably doing anywhere between 25 and 100 miles per week.

My first choice would be a 1988 Sirrus in red with the yellow decals:

2372462c-a3a5-4334-bde0-fcdf7466ed3a.jpg

I have put a wanted post up & scoured Ebay but I don't hold out much hope. My question is am I looking for something that is just not out there? How hard are these bikes to get hold of? I'd like the bike asap (well, Spring latest) so should I just forget the idea & buy something else?

I do however have the chance to buy a 88/89 Allez Epic (the lugged carbon one):

10960316_859589327394658_912908922485964465_o.jpg

I'm very tempted to buy - my only concern is safety. After doing a bit of research on the model I've heard rumours of the bonding between the carbon tubes & the aluminium lugs failing, but also read that if this was to happen it would of been early in the bikes life & those that are still around are fine. Just wondering if anyone has any input on this & thoughts on using one of these carbon beasts regularly & with confidence? (e.g. downhill at 35mph!)

So, do I buy the carbon Allez, or hold out for a Sirrus?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Re:

I bought a sh giant cadex frame many years ago,it had been crashed.I used it for two seasons I think.It then went to a friend who wanted to get into the road thing.
He rode thousands of miles on it,became a local tt winner it was his training frame.He still commutes on it.
I was worried about bonded frames and lugs parting.If they haven't parted by now they probably wont.

Thanks jm, gives me a bit of confidence regarding the bonding. I'm sure it would be perfectly fine, I think it would be more of a psychological thing in the back of your mind!

I've seen a couple of those Sirrus in the local Craigslist over the the years - they go pretty cheap. I almost took a run at one, but passed and got something more vintage. The Allez are more sought after and go for a higher price.

dirttorpedo":3v6lu0ux said:
I've seen a couple of those Sirrus in the local Craigslist over the the years - they go pretty cheap. I almost took a run at one, but passed and got something more vintage. The Allez are more sought after and go for a higher price.

I'm in the UK and they seem to be thin on the ground here. I believe the early Sirrus had an identical frame to the Allez, but with a lower spec group set & softer paint.

I've seen a nice Allez but it's in Canada & the cheapest shipping I can find so far is £250.

Re:

16vGTI":2jyupvvc said:
I'm in the UK and they seem to be thin on the ground here. I believe the early Sirrus had an identical frame to the Allez, but with a lower spec group set & softer paint.

I've seen a nice Allez but it's in Canada & the cheapest shipping I can find so far is £250.

I'm in Canada so they are relatively plentiful, but Specialized at that time wasn't really known as a racing bike company so I don't know how common they were as compared to Trek. My friend has an early Sequoia which is a lovely bike. I thought the Sirrus was their triathlon bike and the Sirrus the race (i.e., criterium) bike.

Re: spesh

My memories of them was there wer'nt a huge amount of the cro-mo ones about{plenty of other alternatives iin that price range back then}but the carbon Wass a valid alternative to an Alan/Vitus or Peugeot and was v well finished with nice lugs and some with a stunning perple metallic laquer on the carbon,regards to their longevity I heard the opposite{theirs were well put together and lasted,made possibly in Japan}

Patience as I was looking for a rare 600c front Ghibli disc wheel & waited 4yeears before I came across one the snapped it up like shot then late last year another popped up & got that also :) it pays to wait as you'll get one.

Nob":37x402oh said:
Patience as I was looking for a rare 600c front Ghibli disc wheel & waited 4yeears before I came across one the snapped it up like shot then late last year another popped up & got that also :) it pays to wait as you'll get one.

True, that's what happened with my Miyata Triple Cross - 3 years ago I couldn't find one and this year I wasn't looking and stumbled upon a frame in decent condition.

Back