Ephgrave, value

Re: Re:

Ray_72":14zmzcuw said:
Very interested reading this thread develop. I have an ephgrave no1frame and forks matching number 2971LE (estimated to be 1956) needs a derailleur hanger repair and a repaint and a few period correct components and bobs your uncle.

Would welcome colour scheme suggestions, it is and looks like it was always black but I fancy something a bit more eye catching! Any suggestions for repairer and painter?

CheersRay
If you check out "classic lightweights" on tinternet there's a good few choices ;) although really it's your choice :)
Mick

Cycles, like most things, have and do have fashions. In the 'fifties black was a popular choice, possibly due to TT rules. The 'sixties had a spell of darkish [bottle?] green as my Ephgrave, also mauve/cherry coloured colours, as was my Tommy Quick frame. A little research will get you some idea of the popular colours of the period.

Re: Re:

Ray_72":v6lu3ufy said:
Very interested reading this thread develop. I have an ephgrave no1frame and forks matching number 2971LE (estimated to be 1956) needs a derailleur hanger repair and a repaint and a few period correct components and bobs your uncle.
Would welcome colour scheme suggestions, it is and looks like it was always black but I fancy something a bit more eye catching! Any suggestions for repairer and painter?

Here is a 1956 in original condition. frame number is just 7 earlier than yours.

Re:

Wow, they must have been in the workshop/paintshop at the same time - probably even the same can of paint! Unlikely I think to ever see such closely matching frame numbers considering they are now 60 years old!

I must post some photos soon as a comparison, probably on a separate thread to stop hijacking this one.

Thanks for your comments all :D

Re Epgrave:

found on Epgrave register
Original frame but new running gear
3603 LE
? at least the 60s
Coincidence?

Re: Re Epgrave:

16-spoke":1rgssfp2 said:
found on Epgrave register
Original frame but new running gear
3603 LE
? at least the 60s
Coincidence?

A sister bike to mine - 3604 LE.
According to my bike's buyer in Oz "The frame has been officially dated as 1961"

I've listed my Ephgrave no. 1140 on eBay, not having heard of Ephgrave before one of the bidders kindly pointed out what it was - so I'm just updating the listing and adding more detail. Any ideas how to tell if it is a no. 1 or a no. 2? It's not a super 1, as there are no windows in the lugs

Re:

Hi, it is an early No1, they had the 'earwig' ends instead of a spearpoint in the middle of the head tube, check out the Classic Lightweight site. Lovely stem. Thanks Terry

Back