1952 all chrome Hill Special Path Racer

Re:

Plating looks far better than a Rotrax I had many moons ago. This appears to of had a good base plate prior to chroming .

Re: 1950s less rusty Chrome & Nervex lovelynessness

Nice detail around the seat stay/brake bridge. Is this indicative of a particular builder?

just a long shot but I have a very similar 1950's SE London frame made by Harry Perry called "The Excel" may be worth getting in touch with Paul Mepham at Perry Cycles in Woolwich if no further provenance comes forward....

Cheers chaps!

'Chaterlea' found on the rear drop-outs

Broken the back of the rust. Not bad looking for some 60 years old.

A gorgeous frame and components. The chrome frame is a beauty. The Gran Sport hubs, Stronglight cranks and platform pedals, and other clasic parts add real character.

Cheers! not all good news though.

Surprisingly and in complete opposite to cotter pins of old, the chainset came off without much fuss. The left arm is pretty much welded to the bb axle though but as both cups needed little effort to remove, the frame is now bare.

Both arms are flaking badly so I dont think I can re-use these and despite their originality I have no real feel for cotter cranks.

I think, if I want to use this, I will find something vaguely suitable whether its modern or old, it will have to look 'right'.

The Lyotard pedals are normal threads and have come up lovely as well so I can re-use those.

This is what I was thinking of:

272552838760_1.jpg

01f36b6a18bc4187b8d32d510761ab87.jpg

Re:

The missus' has allowed it in the kitchen as theres no room at the mo in the shed of dooooom

Attachments

• nervex17.jpg
    nervex17.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 620
  • nervex18.jpg
    nervex18.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 620
Re:

Hi, seeing that rear brake bridge - could it be a Hill Special ? Serial number looks about right 1952 ish. Just a thought, Terry

Re: 1952 all chrome Hill Special?

In strange 'its a small world' , danson67 bought Dennis Hill's later frame jig and original early fork jig in 1990...

That fork jig is just down the road at danson towers.

So, Dan has the jig that built these forks.

Thats totally fucked up, even in my book of totally fucked up things.

Back