Geoff Roberts road bike?

b1ke

Devout Dirtbag
I've recently bought my first road bike - the decals are Geoff Roberts, the frame is Columbus (it says super butted) and someone suggested it was SLX although from what I've read, it may be SPX (used more for larger frames apparently).

The groupset looks to be mainly Campag Chorus.

geoff-frame1.jpg

The question I have relates to the name on the frame. Apparently, all Roberts frames have the letter 'R' embossed at the top of the rear triangle (this is what I've been told, not what I know). This frame doesn't have this embossing. Also, the other Geoff Roberts frames I've seen pics of (very few online) use a different font on the decals. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience of these bikes and offer info on whether it's a Geoff Roberts frame or not?

Just to add that I'm not overly concerned whether it's a Roberts or not. It rides brilliantly and that won't change because of its origins. I'm just intrigued to know a bit more...

b1ke":2fy0clby said:
I've recently bought my first road bike - the decals are Geoff Roberts...The question I have relates to the name on the frame. Apparently, all Roberts frames have the letter 'R' embossed at the top of the rear triangle (this is what I've been told, not what I know). This frame doesn't have this embossing. Also, the other Geoff Roberts frames I've seen pics of (very few online) use a different font on the decals. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience of these bikes and offer info on whether it's a Geoff Roberts frame or not? Just to add that I'm not overly concerned whether it's a Roberts or not. It rides brilliantly and that won't change because of its origins. I'm just intrigued to know a bit more...

Geoff Roberts is not to be confused with Chas Roberts, Chas is the well-known brother of Geoff. Geoff worked for Chas but after a rift Geoff left and set up on his own.

So, yes it is a Roberts, but not the famous Roberts - hence the lack of Roberts identifiers on the frame and the different font style.

People you've spoken to are clearly unaware of this.

It appears you thought you were buying a Chas and bought a Geoff, hope you didn't pay Chas Roberts money :oops:

Roadking.

hope you didn't pay Chas Roberts money

No, the price was more Raleigh than Roberts :cool:

The intrigue came from the comment that someone made about all Roberts frames having the 'R' embossed on the frame and the difference in font styles that I've seen on the web. Perhaps it is only the Chas Roberts frames that have this embossing?

b1ke":lq5iw24j said:
Perhaps it is only the Chas Roberts frames that have this embossing?

That is correct, thought that was what I implied.

Chas's bikes are simply Roberts with all the"brand"identifiers that brings.

Geoff's frames were"Geoff Roberts"as he was trying to create one(a brand that is).

I don't believe Geoff is building anymore.

Roadking.

I had a Geoff Roberts built in about 1994 when he took orders through small local bike shops around the London area. Kevin Mills of Bike Chain organised my build and it was worth every penny as I still use it regularly.

roadking":2h52u8k2 said:
b1ke":2h52u8k2 said:
I've recently bought my first road bike - the decals are Geoff Roberts...The question I have relates to the name on the frame. Apparently, all Roberts frames have the letter 'R' embossed at the top of the rear triangle (this is what I've been told, not what I know). This frame doesn't have this embossing. Also, the other Geoff Roberts frames I've seen pics of (very few online) use a different font on the decals. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience of these bikes and offer info on whether it's a Geoff Roberts frame or not? Just to add that I'm not overly concerned whether it's a Roberts or not. It rides brilliantly and that won't change because of its origins. I'm just intrigued to know a bit more...

Geoff Roberts is not to be confused with Chas Roberts, Chas is the well-known brother of Geoff. Geoff worked for Chas but after a rift Geoff left and set up on his own.

So, yes it is a Roberts, but not the famous Roberts - hence the lack of Roberts identifiers on the frame and the different font style.

It appears you thought you were buying a Chas and bought a Geoff, hope you didn't pay Chas Roberts money :oops:

Roadking.

Sorry to dig up an old post but I thought this needed correcting.

I was a regular visitor to Roberts Croydon shop as I lived in Sutton and I would often ride over there on my days off to have a nose around. Chas was an exceptional business man but he was not a frame builder. Chas put his name on the frames as he owned the company after Charlie Roberts (Chas and Geoff's dad) died but the frames were built by Geoff Roberts, Winston Vaz, Adrian Parry and a few others who's names I cannot remember (old age!).

Geoff, Winston and Adrian all still build frames and I'm told Geoff now offers frame building courses (very tempting!!).

Sorry again to dig this up but I thought it was a bit unfair on Winston, Geoff, Adrian and the other forgotten "Chas Roberts" frame builders.

Markgee":1ju9j0kt said:
roadking":1ju9j0kt said:
b1ke":1ju9j0kt said:

Roadking.

Sorry to dig up an old post but I thought this needed correcting.

I was a regular visitor to Roberts Croydon shop as I lived in Sutton and I would often ride over there on my days off to have a nose around. Chas was an exceptional business man but he was not a frame builder. Chas put his name on the frames as he owned the company after Charlie Roberts (Chas and Geoff's dad) died but the frames were built by Geoff Roberts, Winston Vaz, Adrian Parry and a few others who's names I cannot remember (old age!).

Geoff, Winston and Adrian all still build frames and I'm told Geoff now offers frame building courses (very tempting!!).

Sorry again to dig this up but I thought it was a bit unfair on Winston, Geoff, Adrian and the other forgotten "Chas Roberts" frame builders.

Roberts were one of my local builders for a very long time, in fact long before the shop moved to Gloucester Road Croydon. The fact that Chas had other guys, including Geoff and Winston, building frames is far from unusual. In additon last year I contributed to a comprehensive article on Roberts and have spoken recently to both Geoff and Winston.

And for the record, all Roberts frames do not have the R or Roberts engraved on them...early frames do not...but this was detailed in the aforementioned article.

Jon.

Back