Holdsworth Frame Numbering

Finished Running over the dates again and added comments on validity.

Best to summaries this a s a prediction of factory numbers using a linear progress to hit known fixed points and good date fixes. See below. (Rising production after 1976)

Assuming production was so stable for so long, seems odd, accuracy would be around a year or so either way. Shop built frames will be out by up to 2-3 years.

I think this is as good as it will get just working off online info and there does still seem to be some issues early 50's and after 1976 the dates are rather vague at times. See comments in spread sheet.

Graphs and full spread sheet on Google drive
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... TNKZkN4TmM

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 867
Re:

Hi,

I can add frame number 15584, a Cyclone, which seems to put this in 1952, but I have no separate evidence to confirm that date.

I tried to download your excel file, but it seems rather large at 57Mb and my AV system complained about it. Can you check and maybe repost?

Jay.

Thanks for the number I have added this to the file. Yes the excel file contains a pictures of each frame so is quite large. I have added page two only that has graphs and numbers in year range. hope this helps.

dwscrimshaw":2oxbi0hg said:
CommanderChuff":2oxbi0hg said:
So from your excellent database that makes my Professional (it feels really good to say that, and proud), a 1969 model and not 1973 as Tim was given to understand. Only one year after the World Championship was won on one of these bikes, it makes the purchase of it even better.

Great news, and thank you again for your diligence and work to produce the numbers database.

Hi again,had reason to look at the late 60's graph again as an other good date/number came up, see elsewhere in the thread. I have now put it back in a linear progression and places your bike back a bit further. Accepting the accuracy can be out by a year or two I now make yours end of the 60's rather than 1970. Hope this helps rather than a disappointment.

Hallo Dave,

Thanks again for this great piece of work which most useful for the Holdy owners. I am happy with your assessment of late 1960's and am fixing on 1969 as the build date, mainly because of the other info on style and the chrome finish. But also because it was the year that I started full time work in the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm.

As a matter of interest I was looking at the reason why Holdsworth had right to wear the WC rainbow colours and found the race winner records for the years in 1960's. These riders were all non British so I am assuming that they could have used the Holdsworth bikes' Unfortunately the makes of the winning machines are not recorded. Is there anything available which you may know of?

Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to you all,

David

Thanks for the reply, I have to say I do not know much about the WC colors as regards who won what. This and the NC color seem to feature in the frame decals and the kit so I assume Holdsworth mush have won both at some time.

thanks again have a good Christmas.

Re: holdsworth frame

I am trying to find out how old my holdsworth bike is the frame number is 52 63 with the forks 38814
could this be around 1977 ?

Re:

Did you look at the 'new thread' linked above by dwcrimshaw? The first post has tables. They might not be the latest iteration, but their location (in a twenty-five page thread) makes them easy to find!
Consulting those would suggest that you have a circa '72 fork on a frame that could be a few years later. If the numbers don't match, it is, afaik, unlikely that the frame and forks are an original factory pairing.

Do you know what 'model' your frame is? Is it 531DB with Campag. dropouts?

Any particular reason for expecting it to be 1977? Both the 4-digit (your frame) and the 5-digit (your forks) Holdsworth factory numbering systems are assumed to have terminated before 1977 in favour of the new 6-digit system.

thanks for your reply and you help the frame paint is in very poor condition so i dont know which model it is i have cleaned the paint it also has DC stamped near the frame number

Back