Allin of croydon information needed

wow that's a lot of money for one that's not mint. i've come across that one on researching aswell.

I think mine might be one of either Peter Cobb's very last or Cliff Shrubb's very first for Allin's.
I guess there's no knowing what was standard equipment on the bike unless I knew the original owner. What do Allin's generally go for ?

chris

Re:

Hi Chris, it does lack a Cobb signature, but it certainly it is a good 'un, as Steve has pointed out, you are not going to get another one easily, yes it is rare and desirable, but not a life changer as far as value is concerned, so why not get it on the road and enjoy. Terry

Re:

we'll i've got a W.HINDS bike of my fathers to restore, a JACK TAYLOR tandem and a modern carbon bike.

I've got more of a connection to these as both were used in my fathers national record attempts.

It's one that I was given and haven't really got the space for and thought I could sell it on to someone that would benefit from it.

chris

Re:

Hi Chris, some nice priorities, just don't be too hasty, I have numerous projects some of which I know it will take years to get too, I have them broken up, tucked away and I know I don't have to go looking for them on the open market in the future. Your call, good luck with all the builds. Terry

Nice to read about Allins. I bought mine, second-hand back in 1971, with a special smoke-effect paint job! Sadly the novelty wore off, had it re-painted and used it in time-trials as a schoolboy.

Fast forward 45 years and I'm still riding it with the original equipment fitted at that time. It's the sif-bronze welded model with a frame number of 1760 dating it at around 1962/63. It still has its 54T chainring used in time-trialling, but when I moved to Derbyshire I has a 42T inner chainring fitted! I used it the last two Eroicas and it still rides like a dream.

Phil

Re:

Allin Cycles was one of my LBSs for many years and the authentic Allin era ended with Peter Cobb's retirement in 1981, I have a couple of old timer friends, one of whom worked there for over 20 years.

Regarding Stand Butler models, there were three: the top model being the Special distinguished by a fully wrapped over seatstay. Some frames were badged Allin after Cobby retired but they aren't true Allins - although some were built by the late and highly regarded Cliff Shrubb - I have a Geoffrey Butler built by Shrubby.

See this link for more info, I made a modest contribution to the article -

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... allin.html

Rk.

Re:

I made a point of going to the garage to get a picture of the wrapover stays on the allin as pictured. It turns out that they don't meet so i'm assuming it's one of Peter Cobb's last for the company although it doesnt have a signature anywhere on the frame?

chris

Not a Peter Cobb.

The seatstay is very crude, not something the very fastidious Peter Cobb would put his name to. It isn't a Shrubb either, so I think a bought in frame or just something someone's put an Allin identity on.

Jon.

Re:

Hi, another thing I have just found I'd there's an ALLIN TOURING bike on eBay at the moment. It has exactly the same transfers as mine but different colour, one thing that may of worn away on mine is the 'standard' transfer on the seat tube. What would this sticker be in its entirety ? Item 292013456629

Chris

The machine that you mention on Ebay has 'STANDARD' in the cartouche at the top of the seat tube decal. Note that this frame does not have wrap over seat stays as yours has. Yours appears to have Haden lugs and wrap over stays, but I must agree with Jon - they are very crudely fashioned when compared to others that I have seen. The first Stan Butler model was introduced in late 1948 (announced in 'Cycling'). At that point it would appear that there was only one model. Not long after this it would seem that the top model was effectively named a 'Special Stan Butler Model' - and it is supposed that the 'Standard' and 'Popular' models may have been introduced at this time. I have been unable to find a firm date for this but suspect that it must have been by 1950. The Stan Butler Models stayed in production with various changes of lugs, and of course, components until production ceased completely. Allins ceased trading (I think) in 1998. Quite when they stopped making frames is another matter. H LLoyd carry a comprehensive range of decals for Allin machines. They were not a very prolific maker (perhaps 3000 frames from 1945 to 1998 ?), so they are worthy of conserving or restoring where appropriate. This information has been gleaned from websites and information published in the cycling press in past years and cannot be considered exact. Any corrections or additional information would be welcome.

Back