best black bar tape?

pondweed

Old School Hero
Last bar tape I did was probably in 1986, and was likely thin cloth or insulation tape! After that, MTBs didnt need the stuff...

There now seems to be a plethora of bar tape. :shock:

Just need black, cost effective, a bit of thickness, to tie in with tourer drops and Tektro 520s... and good value/cheap! Any good recommendations? (and does anyone use the fake cork £1.20ish for two rolls and end caps stuff from Hong Kong/China on ebay?)

pondweed":33kdborm said:
(and does anyone use the fake cork £1.20ish for two rolls and end caps stuff from Hong Kong/China on ebay?)

I did its very stretchy not very thick and I'll not use it again I like the cinelli I use it on a couple of bike I also like Deda good tape and good value for money

I still like Tressorex cloth tape, Newbaums is even better quality, but expensive.

I use Dida and Specialized tape generally, but I have used the cork $1.00 stuff from Hong Kong that was mentioned. It actually works fairly well, but dont stretch it a lot or it will break. It's ok though.

You can often find deals on eBay of the better brands, which is how I buy tape. Just do a search on the site like 'black bar tape' and you'll see many good options that don't cost a lot. :)

Thanks all!
just realised my earlier reply didnt actually make it to the thread. I've ordered some 99p hong Kong stuff just to see how poor it is, and some Tressorex in the sale, plus some "sale" BBB - so will have plenty to play with - all below a fiver. Will report back!

Back