130/135mm rear hub widths - 531 road Tourers?

pondweed

Old School Hero
I can see how the different hub widths pertain to Road and MTB groups.
Has anyone found that a road tourer frame HAS has the wider stays for a MTB/hybrid hub, or would the hybridisation always stop short of the hub spec?

My Touristique now has a RM30 on it, at 135mm. I think it might have originally has RX100s (which would mean it has been widened) but would like to know for sure!

Once widened, are they ok to be put back, or best left? Worst scenario would be rear wheels I want to swap around, of different lengths.

Dawes Galaxies for starters had 135mm hubs from the 90s. Most small-scale or custom builders also tended to go with 135 from around 1990 onwards.

The wider hub gives less dish - ideal for a heavily loaded rear wheel like a tourer. I'd be extremely reluctant to narrow a re-spaced frame both for practicality and also because it's not a great idea to keep bending it back and forth.

Re:

I used to squeeze XT 135mm hubs into my aluminium Giant TCR without any probs - its 2.5mm each side, about the same as a gnat's cock in rutting season, so can't see damage being done.

I'm already there! so it sounds like stick with what I've got if I have to buy anything in future.
Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back