High-end steel road bicycles vs carbon fiber bikes

No one has mentioned the noise. Steel sounds much better.

For the OP's brief, Carbon fits the bill.

There are high end steel bikes that don't give much away, but they are actually made of tinfoil thin tubing, and are rather more fragile than many expect.

For outright performance it has to be carbon fibre. I haven't had much experience with top-end steel frames, but the main limiting factor seems to be weight - even the very best steel frames can't match carbon in this respect.
Also to add - my main 'summer' bike is a 1998 Trek OCLV and it feels fantastic; ultra modern carbon frames are stiff as hell but mine is really compliant along with being rigid where it needs to be.
Another advantage with carbon is the ability to make the frame with unusual shapes, such as the Lotus 110 that Chris Boardman used. You couldn't make a steel frame with that sort of profile; but even if you could it would weigh a ton!
A point I'd also like to make about the longevity of carbon - I have a carbon manufacturer near me and they can repair carbon frames that have seemingly had it; they regularly repair carbon frames that have had major damage.

Ultimately if you need high performance, then steel cannot match carbon; but for anything else where the feel/compliance is more important such as for plodding along the lanes or touring then steel is a good choice. And of course steel frames especially classics such as hand made frames - Colnago Masters etc - have a special appeal.

cce":25i74zcy said:
it's perfectly possible to build a comfortable, compliant carbon bike

Quite. It's a real pity that current fashion makes people design over-stiff frames that ride like jackhammers.

hamster":4olboqkm said:
cce":4olboqkm said:
it's perfectly possible to build a comfortable, compliant carbon bike

Quite. It's a real pity that current fashion makes people design over-stiff frames that ride like jackhammers.

i'm quite interested by stuff like the trek Domane and specialized roubaix. Shame they all seem to have monstrously tall headtubes.

Re:

I have a KTM Revelator 3500 which was bought as a winter bike. I was specifically after something which mimicked the ride quality as closely as possible of my 2004 made Rourke 853.

The Rourke still has slightly more 'spring' to the feel of it, but in every other respect the two bikes are pretty close.

I accept that the Revelator 3500 is far from a top of the line carbon bike, but the same frameset is used on much of the KTM range.

cce":yqjn0pw9 said:
i'm quite interested by stuff like the trek Domane and specialized roubaix. Shame they all seem to have monstrously tall headtubes.

They are designed for all-day rides not racing. They (in my view) are the exceptions to the rule and appear to be designed for what most people really do, rather than be pretendy racers.

What do the Pros ride? I love this question. They ride what they are told to, that's their job. When you are talking marginal gains to win a big race then there will be some compromises - comfort and structural integrity for instance because you do what it takes to win, doesn't matter if the bike takes a knock cos then you just pull another off the top of the team car and keep going. For most folks though a good quality steel bike would be a good choice, were it not for the greater Industry at large having decided it isn't worth persevering with and there being little to no choice for the average consumer. There is no denying carbon makes a lighter, stiffer/more compliant/quicker feeling bike, but damn if they aren't the most boring, soulless, ugly lookin' cookie-cutter machines out there.

*Opinions expressed are those of the individual, you may have your own and are entitled to them however incorrect.

Rod_Saetan":1spz0wht said:
What do the Pros ride? I love this question. They ride what they are told to, that's their job.

True, but each rider probably rides more different bikes with more differentiation than ever before. More comfort oriented bikes for the paris-roubaix, lighter climbing bikes, fast aero bikes for flat stages

cce":ma2m460j said:
True, but each rider probably rides more different bikes with more differentiation than ever before. More comfort oriented bikes for the paris-roubaix, lighter climbing bikes, fast aero bikes for flat stages

That's only the very top-end teams in the UCI Tour. Look at the lower teams and many of the riders are using 105 or Ultegra and probably only a couple of bikes.

However, things are a different proposition if you are under 30, ride 15,000+ miles per year and are paid to be in pain.

I'm in it for fun.

Latest posts

Back