brooks saddles with branded in letters underneath

Retro junkie

Retro Guru
hi guys
i had a post on a couple of weeks ago about a rudge aero special 531 i picked up at my local car boot. Now i dont know if its strange to you guys but when i checked the seat post yesterday to see if it was free which it was, i noticed six or seven letters and a single number sort of branded into the leather on the underside of the seat leather. I have left the bike at my mates for now, but from what i can remember there was a TTF1KLL i think.
I was really stumped as to what it could of been there for,can anybody shed any light on this
thanks rich

Re:

I think Brooks used to date stamp their leather. My 1950's B17 has the letters FKT lightly stamped on the inside ride hand side with the lettering arranged vertically F above K above T if teh saddle where pointing nose down - I hope that makes sense? As to what the code letters mean, I have no idea.

Re:

those letters sound very much the same as mine.The bike its off has a date on the rear sturmey 4 speed alloy rear hub of july 1952, so of the same era as yours although of course there is no guarantee that its the original saddle to the bike.

I also have another brooks saddle but cannot remember what it came off. This one has the letters ykk on the underside but it also has a date stamped into the metal rail at the back of 69

Back