Raleigh Special Products Division Titanium - INFO PLEASE

Haylock1974":2xs24f81 said:
The serial number stamped into the BB reads K23128.

The K in the frame number indicates it was made in 1999/2000, so one of the last frames to be made in Nottingham.

I have an 853 steel frame made the same year.

NeilM":r2z02k2a said:
Haylock1974":r2z02k2a said:
The serial number stamped into the BB reads K23128.

The K in the frame number indicates it was made in 1999/2000, so one of the last frames to be made in Nottingham.

I have an 853 steel frame made the same year.

Thanks for that information on the logic of the SN scheme. My SN for a frame that was delivered to Sampson and sold in the US as Sampson model Z7 is K44110. That corresponds with the timeframe of my component set of Campy 9 speed Ergo with Record. In correspondence with Sampson bikes, they replied:

"The z7 was a specially designed tube set by Sampson , made by Timet, for power plus smoothness. Featured the shaped main tubes, drawn tapered stays for smooth feel. Made for us in Nottingham, England. We produced this frame until 2000."

Attachments

• large_WP_20160829_13_30_55_Pro.jpg
    large_WP_20160829_13_30_55_Pro.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,820
Re:

hallo Raleigh titanium owners,

I have the same oval frame in blue, and will be building it up with Dura Ace from the same period as my other 1990's bike has been modernised already. My serial number prefix is K which according to your useful info makes it a 1999 year. The riders name on the top tube is Neil o'brien, and any info on him would gratefully received.

Please could anybody advise on the size of the seat post On this frame, with many thanks,

David,

2013 Condor Fratello Ultegra.
1999 Raleigh Team Titanium Dura Ace.
1997 Colnago Oval Titanium Art Deco Campy Chorus.
1969 Holdsworth Team Professional Campy Record.

Congrates on getting the frame. I think that you got the one for sale at BrickLane (https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/raleig ... nium-frame)? As posted earlier I have one of those also a K serial number. Regarding the seatpost size, it depends on the year I believe 1999/2000 means it is 27.0MM. The headset should be 1 inch as well (http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... d+Dura+Ace). Once you get to 2002, they are listed as 27.2MM and 1 1/8 inch headset. Since Raleigh SPD was closed by then, I am not sure where those were built, maybe the Ti firm in Washington state, which makes sense since those are listed as "3Al/2.5V titanium" rather than the earlier "Timet CP4 titanium, cold worked" in 1999/2000.

What do you plan on doing for the fork? I have a "Wound Up" 1 inch which I like. Please post pictures as you complete the build. I would like to include them in the Pinterest I have started.

Good Morning,

Thanks for the info on the seat post size. The seat tube is a little ovalised and I was measuring diameters of 26.6 to 26.8, but a seatpost of 27.15mm seemed to fit reasonably well albeit very tightly.

The frame is from Bricklane, and the K prefix for the SH indicates 1999. They had NOS 1 inch carbon aero fork which looked right for the bike which is now in the workshop. I have just purchased a vintage set of Dura Ace for the build so that this bike will be authentic (I hope) for 1999/2000.

Following the leads from earlier posts I have emailed and hope that Sheffield Cycles can help with information on a Raleigh team which may have been planned for that period using this frame.

Regarding the earlier posts the K series 1999/2000 frames were the last to be built in Nottingham I am basing my historical notes/specifications on that info.

David

Thanks for the reply and info re post size. Mine was purchased complete and I can see Thompson Elite, but no sizing visible. As stated earlier, mine is 60 cm and was recently weighed at 20 pounds as pictured earlier.

Regarding the frame, I have corresponded with Eric Sampson of http://www.sampsonsports.com/ and he gave me the following information re the composition of the frames:

"We traded production , gave them ability to use my designs in UK, which they sold under Raleigh brand.
CP tubes, 6/4 fittings/drop outs. z7 was seamed , welded tube. CP was cold-worked which enhanced yield to almost that of 3/2. "

Regarding the CP tubes, the huge downtube increases stiffness, A study looking at frame stiffness had this frame pretty high, especially when compared with other Ti (http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... topic=7008). Some posters say these chainstays might make it flexier than the downtube. It would be good to get your riding impressions as I am a noob re how racing bikes feel.

I hope this helps.

Re:

Hallo NW,

Thanks for your comments and info, and here are some thoughts on the Raleigh. I took it out for a short (25 miles) shakedown ride and was very pleasantly surprised to find that the bike is extremely comfortable and fast. In comparison to my Colnago oval titanium (1997 but latest Campy chorus) the Raleigh (1999 with 1998 Dura Ace) was more 'solid', felt stronger on uneven road road surface, but was very fast and smooth. The Dura Ace is better and smoother than Chorus and the whole setup for the bike seemed to be more together. It was a impressive and enjoyable ride and I hope to put more miles on it in prep for the 100 mile sportive next year.

Attachments

• Cycling RaleighTitanThinkingHamlet Nov2016 TN.jpg
    Cycling RaleighTitanThinkingHamlet Nov2016 TN.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 1,582
On the "Clark" scratched into the downtube on the OPs bike, could it be Dave (also spelt with an "e" but that can easily be forgotten/forgiven!)

He was a local rider to Sheffield Cycles (think he lived in Swadlincote), usually hopping between shop and club sponsorship deals for much of the late 90's through to the mid noughties. He's now moved onwards and upwards and is riding continental pro.

Wouldn't be that much of a stretch for Sheffields to have bunged him a frame and some bits. Which may have (eventually) not been needed when a better deal turned up.

In fact, i have a sneaking suspicion the first time i met Dave (97/98 maybe) might have even been in Sheffield Cycles. (I was only just up the road in Derby).

Also, a quick internet dig seems to indicate that Dave is still local to Sheffields Cycles now, the pro career seems to have been ended by injury.

Re:

I am currently selling one of these frames on E bay so I did a bit of googling to see what I could learn. I found an article from The Independent newspaper that gives some details about the manufacturing process. It seems clear they were made in England with some new fangled automated welding process that really boosted production. It also confirms that the tubes were produced by I.M.I. I don't seem able to get the link but if you Google: " Titanium gets on its bike as peace prevails" I am sure you will find the article.

Back