Nutted brake help

BigFoz

Retro Guru
I'm building a 1983 Carlton Clubman up as a training bike. It takes old style nutted brakes as opposed to the ones with recessed allen bolts. What suggestions does the massive have?

- Must be nutted, not recessed
- Drop (centre of bolt hole to centre of rim) is 65mm (27" frame running 700c wheels - plenty of tyre and mudguard room!)
- Would be nice if they could stop 120Kg of man, bike and luggage... (I am happy to change blocks to modern type)
- Don't HAVE to be period (1983) but if I got all ther above in a period stopper I'd be happy.
- Sidepull (Though technically I could add some hangers and go Centre Pull...)
- Not Shimano (ok, I'm a snob, don't care, had too many Shimano components wear out early, will no longer buy their stuff)

BigFoz":1ksxi9mz said:
- Would be nice if they could stop 120Kg of man, bike and luggage... (I am happy to change blocks to modern type)

Tektro with Swiss stop pads or Kool Stop.New stainless cables that are smooth will help.

For centre pulls, Weinmann 610 or 750 depending on drop to the rim or Mafac Racers;
Tektro in whatever drop works as suggested previously;
For sidepulls, Weinmann 605 but be very careful of the drop as they will be at their limit and may need you to file the stirrups;
Use plastic lined cables with die drawn stainless wires and Kool Stop pad inserts for whatever brake brand choice you have made (Kool Stop makes brake rubber inserts that fit the OEM alloy holders)
Good luck with the upgrades.

Back