Fratelli Hubs - Re chrome

I didn't spot if you'd discussed this: are they going to be able to keep the chrome off the bearing races?

Should be OK. Chrome plating will not work on recesses which is why pedals are always a problem and have to be taken apart - nobody has been able to explain to me why this is but it is one of the 'quirks' of chromium elecro plate. Nickel plate probably will (parts are plated with nickel or copper - or both - before chrome). Will know the answer when I get the first batch back but I do not expect problems as it would seem that this has all been done before. One of the reasons that the plating has failed on so many components is that they plated directly on mild steel which is cheap but has a short life.

At last I have the first batch of steel hub barrels back from the platers ! In this case FB and Campagnolo. I have used 2 different platers for this experiment and only one has returned the items so far. So, more to follow later. They all take an eternity. However, the results are excellent. See photo below. All of these barrels had major chrome loss / corrosion and the result show how clear the engraving still is. The compromise was slightly imperfect chrome plate being preferred to perfect chrome plate but no engraving. The barrels + polished alloy flanges will now go back to Mick Madgett for re-assembly. Once done I will post more photos

Attachments

• L1050776.JPG
    L1050776.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 541
Finally we have an end result ! Photos show 2 pairs of hubs : FB small flange racing hubs with axles/cones dated 1952/53 and FB large flange hubs with cones/axles dated 1949. Some loss of definition of the barrel engraving is inevitable - dependent upon the amount of corrosion. Finding hubs (unless NOS) from this period with good chrome is not easy. Nickel was in short supply at this time (banned from use by electro platers in 1950/1 in the UK) and as a result much plating was done direct onto steel which has a very short life indeed.
Interestingly, the large flange hubs date from 1949. 4 years before before Campagnolo introduced the large flange Gran Sport hub. So - it could be argued that Campagnolo Gran Sport hubs were re-badged Fratelli Brivio hubs !!! Apart from the barrels and flanges, the other parts (axles, cones, locknuts etc) are clearly different so I have to assume that FB were only contracted to Campagnolo to supply assembled hubs with no internals. I suspect that we will never know for sure.
I have now seen a copy of the original patent application that Brivio made for steel hubs with alloy flanges. The application was made in 1931 and the patent was granted in 1933 in the UK. The patent (I think) would have expired in 1958. It begs the question as to whether British Hub Co and Bayliss Wiley were paying Brivio money for a licence to copy his patented hub design. Somehow I doubt it. Maybe someone on here knows the answer to this ?

Attachments

• L1050880.JPG
    L1050880.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 457
  • L1050879.JPG
    L1050879.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 457
To round off this thread, the attached photo is of the FB racing crankset that was shown earlier in this thread, before restoration. The TA chainring is as supplied originally although FB did supply (make ?) their own chainrings.

Having components re plated is certainly worthwhile although it does not come cheap. Metal finishing the hub barrels is the most difficult part as the tolerances are quite fine. The plating on all of these components is without doubt better than the original.

Attachments

• L1050855.JPG
    L1050855.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 452
I have now obtained a copy of the patent granted to Camillo Brivio of Brescia, Italy for steel barrel / alloy flange hubs. It was granted in London on March 16 1933 (patent number 389,155). I believe that this ran until 1958 and that all Campagnolo Gran Sport hubs up to this date would have been manufactured by Brivio. I have read that Campagnolo effectively took over Brivio before this date but cannot find confirmation of this. Perhaps someone out there knows the answer to this question ?

Back