Show us your "Royal Enfield" Any love out there

Re:

Simon,
Dayton had an electric weld system about 1950/51, and made some quite good looking cheap sports bikes that were absolutely dreadful.
They also had a "Independent" (semi pro) team whose bikes were lugless bronze welded with extra fillets up the tubes from the bottom bracket. A certain D Bedwell was in the team and probably needed the extra strength. I remember seeing these about 1950.

The RE we are looking at has to be bronze weld, now generally called fillet brazed.

The electric weld could not be used on decent tubing.
Keith

Lovely fillet-brazed one on Ebay at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331982467152

s-l1600.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks Keith, saw an article in Classic Lightweights and mentioned RE using Dayton. Fillet brazed seems more likely. The telescopic welded rear stays must have been fun to do.

Apologies for jumping on this thread. More RE's needed. Good to see a Mayfly too.

Simon

Re:

Here's my Royal Enfield Lightweight Sports cycle from the early 60s. It's available to buy/trade if anyone on here is interested.

Attachments

• Royal Enfield2.jpg
    Royal Enfield2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 553
  • Royal Enfield 3.jpg
    Royal Enfield 3.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 553
That is really nice example, and how I would like mine toturn out.

Would you be able to post a couple of pics detailing the rear brake lower pivot mounting arrangement that sits behind the BB and is clamped to the bottom of the seat tube. There is a spring attached.....

Many thanks,

Dave

Keith, they were never owned by Raleigh, though oddly, my one has a Raleigh decal on the rear mudguard, which is older than the one above, as the stays are pressed metal, not thick wire. Maybe they bought in mudguards....

Dave,
I sold a few RE's in the 50's. I need a close up picture of the headset and rear ends, which have the mudguard eyes at the rear. The rod brakes are Raleigh.
Whats the betting that the bottom bracket is 26TPI?
Only Raleigh and BSA used a double sided bell crank.
Also the handlebars are dangerously high.

Keith

Back