Frame saver. What do you use?

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi,

I have long wondered what products you chaps use when you refer to 'frame saver'.

I have a couple of frames that are 'orange' inside and need something doing to them before it becomes a big issue.

I have seen Boeshield, seems expensive, is it worth it or shall I just blast GT85 in there?

Thanks.

Most frames if kept dry do not seem to suffer too badly from internal corrosion. There are lot 50+ year old frames around. Top-end frames suffer worst as they are thinnest.

However the solutions which seem to come up most often are JP Weigle Frame Saver and Supertrol. Whatever you do make sure that the frame and stuff are warm, this allows it to flow well inside.

Re:

My two pence worth, or one euro as I call it...

Boesheild is mineral oil (plus mineral spirit or white spirit)

baby oil is perfumed mineral oil :D

Any oil or grease will seal the surface and prevent rust

Anything that removes grease is bad

In my experience, Weigle Framesaver seems to have a solvent which evaporates and leaves a thin waxy substance, a bit more like Waxoyl, but thinner.
Still around at a few shops for £12 - £16 per can to do 2-3 frames.

https://youtu.be/1Eve6e8epKQ

All the best,

I have an aerosol can of waxoyl and a bit of tubing about 3ft long with blocked end and holes just short of that. push into tube to end. Withdraw while spraying. Warm room/everything up first with heater.

Re: Frame Savers

As president of the company that makes Boeshield T-9 I can attest to the fact that our product is an excellent choice for preserving steel frames. It goes on thin enough to penetrate the inside of welds, displaces any residual moisture, then dries to a thin waxy film. The resulting protection will typically last for years of use in most applications.

I have had good results with Owatrol Oil. Cotton wool in the tubes soaked in the liquid allowing it to slowly seep down the tubes & injected in the tubes with just small holes with a syringe

Back