Today's ROAD ride

Today was the Seven Hills Ride from Penzance.Started by Ken Barclay a long time ago.He wanted to ride all the big hills around here on his birthday,must of been in his late sixties.Ken only rode a mountainbike started the Lands End Classic races that were some of the first in the country.Years passed and we road the hills not big but big for down here.Ken passed away out on his bike must be ten years ago now.The ride has turned from a small group of friends on mtb's to todays ride with over 100 riders.No one actually organises it but Macmillan are always at the start and we give a fiver each.Anyway that was todays road ride.
Almost forgot a lot of the bikes ridden were what we call "retro" they just ride them because thats what they ride.

Lake at Compton Verney (Historic House) in Warwickshire.

Attachments

• Cycling ColnagoTitanio ComptonVerney Dec2016 TN.jpg
    Cycling ColnagoTitanio ComptonVerney Dec2016 TN.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 543
Re:

Some lovely photos there ^ ^ ^

Just a short ride today, time is limited, as was the visibility! :facepalm:

I took a back light, but it wasn't enough for a longer jaunt. Along the coast for a few miles, then when I got to Arundel, some hill training.

WP_20161219_09_49_17_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

So nice to be out on the Gitane, but as I got further up the mist got worse. Still rode to the top, before the lovely descent back down, and out of the mist/fog.

WP_20161219_09_58_29_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Came down here really fast, for me, didn't touch my brakes. Had a scare a few years back, that made me wary of descending at speed, 110psi to 0 in a split second, on the front tyre.
Back on the flat, I was happy to keep my speed above evens all the way home. You see, I'm not that fast! :LOL:

To a cup of coffee, and cake, obviously! ;) ;) ;)

Mike

Re:

A couple of days ago my daughter rang, she was pretty excited because she had entered a competition on Instagram...and won a bike.... for ME!

So Friday last week a HUGE box arrived and inside was the very first Genesis Equilibrium Decade, a touring version of the Equilibrium with Reynolds 725 frame and all the bits to get me going on my new quest to tour the world.... well, very tiny bits of it.

Today Kt and I met for the shakedown ride of Freebike, my free bike.

Coo, shiny bike mister.
IMG_2023_zpsrl8b8coj.jpg

Proud owner.
IMG_2024_zpsyyur1a32.jpg

Proof that I actually ride bikes....sometimes.

IMG_2031_zpszl94y6hi.jpg

We had a nice ride, in the pictures we are not far from Bristol Airport, so we turned right on the A38 and belted down Redhill, my word it was chilly. After that we headed across the local levels, and I rode back into Weston while Kate whizzed off to her home as fast as she could to try and get some warmth back in her limbs. I saw the local hunt hounds out being exercised but couldn't get a picture as the battery on my camera had given up in the cold. By the time I got home I could no longer feel my feet!

My first impressions; the bike is a great fit and very smooth. I love the mudguards but hate the rattling. I could seriously feel the extra 4 or 5 kilo's over my other bikes and fancy the cassette will need a change if I am going anywhere with luggage.

Still, the price was excellent, so I can't complain really.

Re: Re:

NeilM":tpk0nyym said:
I love the mudguards but hate the rattling.
Probably just need refitting properly, unless they are crap mudguards. None of mine rattle until i actually get onto rumble strips or offroad.

NeilM":tpk0nyym said:
I could seriously feel the extra 4 or 5 kilo's over my other bikes and fancy the cassette will need a change if I am going anywhere with luggage.
It only weighs about 11.5 kilos in stock form. Are you sure all your retros weigh between 6.5 (under the UCI limit) and 7.5 (pretty bloody light!)? ;)

Re:

Well it may only be 2 to 3 kilo's, but it blinkin felt like 5 in the cold today. :mrgreen:

That said, all my other road bikes are on 20 tyres and the Genesis is on 28's, so that probably had an effect.

The mudguards are SKS, so maybe I just need to go over them and find / eliminate the rattles. Mind, some of the roads in North Somerset are bl**dy awful.

Re:

So, time to ride off some of yesterday's excesses.

Lovely Boxing Day, so I had to do it.

Along the only flat bit, the A27 for a couple of miles, before the first * big climb *, Steyning Bostal. From the south side, a drag that gradually eases, then as you get to the top, a lovely view of the South Downs to the east.

WP_20161226_11_35_50_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Oh soddit! Someone put a bike in the way! :facepalm:
Then down into Steyning, heading east, up and down the lanes through Bramber, Beeding, Edburton, Fulking, Poynings, and Pyecombe to Ditchling Beacon. Which I just had to go up, it would be rude not to! Around a 5 minute climb, I patted some older rider on the way up, offering encouragement as I went past.

WP_20161226_12_29_38_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I was under no illusion that I'd had a little wind assistance getting there, but coming back along a similar route, the feared headwind was barely noticeable.
So back up Steyning Bostal I went, around 17% I think, three ways up here, but I took the main road up to the top.

WP_20161226_13_20_29_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Better view of the Downs! :roll:

Then I dropped back down to the main road , and home, feeling a lot better than I thought I would.
Cool!

Only 66km, but a lovely, hilly, hard 66km.

Mike

* Relative term, for this part of the country.

Looking a bit too serious but very blue. Raleigh Titanium and new prezzie from Santa (my lovely wife) on Boxing Day ride. The retro style matches the bike perfectly but the size warning is very clear, for this kit I have brought 2 sizes larger and have a loose but comfortable fit. Was very pleased to do 50 miles at 16 mph average.

Happy New Year to all Retro Bike riders.

David.

2013 Condor Fratello Ultegra.
1999 Raleigh Team Oval Titanium Dura Ace.
1997 Colnago Oval Titanio Art Deco Chorus.
1969 Holdsworth Team Professional Record.

Attachments

• Cycling RaleighTitanBanana Dec2016 TN.jpg
    Cycling RaleighTitanBanana Dec2016 TN.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 366
Re:

That's one hard core stare.

Super nice bike and Mr Muz will be much approving of the matching kit.

Back