Vintage Stumpy or KHS Turbo for long range commuter

wassertreter

Devout Dirtbag
Background: my new work site is like 2h away on the train. Good news: I don't need to go every day and there's some great countryside terrain in between here and there. Also no problem splitting the distance between train and bike.

So it's time to build a nice commuter / touring bike. Naturally using one of the vintage frames in my basement. As said I don't need to go every day, but when going, I need to take some stuff for the occasional overnight stay, and of course the usual work clothes, computer(s) etc. So the rider+load is probably around 100kg.

Option 1: KHS Turbo (mine is not quite as mint, but same model)

IMG_20151215_190034_zpsm1apv2dg.jpg

Option 2: Stumpjumper (again my frame is a bit more beat up, but same model)

IMGP1622.jpg

Both frames have all the eyelets, the KHS Turbo is set up for mid-reach road brakes, and could probably 35mm tyres (700C) + fenders. The Stumpy could take those super fat 2.3" slicks from Compass Cycles with fenders. Drop bars will be used regardless of frame. Plus fenders and racks and everything.

There are options for gravel/dirt segments on the way, which could make for nice friday afternoon detours on the way home. But will the Stumpy ride ok on the road too? Or will the KHS be overloaded with ~100kg anyway? Which one would you recommend?

Re:

I recently rebuilt an old Breezer Sky frame as a commuter with drop bars and slick tyres, and I have to say I really
love it (even if it is not the prettiest bike I have). I was lucky that I had some old barend shifters that I could use for the build.
It was basically a cheap and cheerful build because I needed a bike to ride every day for my new job.

The 26" wheels feel nice and solid, and the canti brakes give a bit more power for riding with a lot of kit. I sometimes tow a trailer
to carry my kids around (so an extra 25-30 kilos weight) and even then the brakes still feel solid.

The bike is also fun to ride on gravel and semi-paved forest trails near me. I think it just generally feels a bit more solid than a classic
touring bike would. It also climbs very nicely: I think older MTBs tended to have geometry that put the rider's weight forwards a bit more which could explain that.

On the road it feels a bit heavier that a tourer or cyclocross bike, but I think the slick tyres compensate enough.

The Breezer Sky was an entry level MTB/commuter bike, so it also had all the eyelets for mudguards and racks and so on.

Johnny

Re:

stumpy with 1.5 in slick tyres and a double road chainset (single is better if its flat) and mudguards. You may want to cut the bars narrower too.

It will ride all weathers, cruise over potholes and flat bars (IMO) give better control

they both look too good for commuting. I would recommend getting something new and cheap instead - everything is easily replaceable and essentially worthless.
My commuter is a 90s raleigh hybrid - plain gauge steel frame, converted to fixed gear. The most valuable thing on it is the dura-ace track sprocket. Or maybe the Sakae bars, but they're taped over anyway.
It's pretty new, so reliable; It's tough; all the parts are cheap, so indestructible and easily replaced. And it doesn't need cleaning too often.
I'd recommend giving it a few finishing touches to put people off too - mine has a deliberately rattly panniers and bright yellow tyres to deter any prospective thieves.
You might be better to buy a cheap modern road bike or hybrid for about £300 from halfords of somewhere than risk damaging what look like very nice bikes - okay they might not be iconic, but they aren't worthless either. A new carrera or something has standard parts that can be swapped out with no fuss, and everything will work reasonably reliably. Or, pick up a crappy old bike - I used to use an old townsend that cost me £30, and i didn't get too upset about it getting dirty. when it snapped in half in a crash, it really wasn't a problem and i could source a replacement cheaply. having something disposable is more useful for commuting, because you can almost guarantee that one day it will get damaged.

Re:

Honestly I don't get to ride much apart from commuting. And locking away the bike properly is neither a problem at home, nor at work. So I'd rather take one of the vintage frames (there's a handful :oops: ) and put it to work. The commute part of the trip is going to be only 10k sometimes, but 30-50k regularly, and 100k and more every once in a while in summer. That's the plans at least. Why not use a semi nice bike then?

I am leaning towards the KHS a bit at the moment. With Dia Compe 750s it could in all likelihood take 650bx42 aka holy grail dimensions.

But the Stumpy with Cantis would surely be tough as nails. Honestly I probably have almost all the parts to build both. Except the wheels.

Probably I would go with the Stumpjumper as it will be more versatile and its stable handling will be nicer with a rack and panniers. My tourer is based on an MTB conversion and the flexibility of tyre size makes it very adaptable.

Re:

Check TT length . MTb's can have long ones to allow for the shorter reach of flat bars. Might make it to long with drops

wassertreter":1dnyaptu said:
There are options for gravel/dirt segments on the way, which could make for nice friday afternoon detours on the way home.

This comment is enough for me to plump for the Stumpy, especially if you can stretch to some compass tyres.
You will hopefully be able to get the correct position for drops with an appropriate stem. Forget about using a normal mtb stem. Short reach/high rise is what you need. And I'd be inclined to go for dirt drops if you will be riding off-road.

Back