The RB Official Road Cycling Book Review Thread

Hi All have just finished reading my xmas gift "Muck, Sweat and Gears" by Alan Anderson this for sure is a coffee table book full of cycling related miscellany. It was fun to read as a got 5mins to kill pick up publication with intresting facts and stories in nice bite sized chunks.

Re:

I have just finished The World of Cycling according to G.

It's a really well written and entertaining read and is deliberately written in a conversational style.

It is not a biography although it obviously contains biographical information, but what does come through is the sheer determination of the man and the pride he takes in what British cycling has become. There are also some great inside views of Chris Froome, Brad Wiggins and Dave Brailsford.

Well worth the cover price.

Re:

Recently finished The Badger by William Fotheringham.

Typical of his style, William has spoken to the Badger, family, friends, enemies and all in between, to give a really complete story of Hinault, with the added bonus of a quite in depth look at French cycling since Hinault's retirement.

I enjoy Fotheringham's style of writing, his research and the completeness of the picture he paints.

An easy read and an enjoyable book.

Just finished reading Jens Voigt Shut up Legs co authored by James Starr.
Jens tells us of his life growing up in East Germany during the fall of the Berlin wall and his transition to a professional road racer. The book is a great insight into this talented riders life on and off the road what drove him, his views on doping and 18 years as a pro. An excellent read all round.

Just finished Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage all I can say is I'm glad I wasn't a pro, I found it shocking in some parts but not in others, definitely a good read.

Re: Round the world on a wheel 1896 J F Frazer .

Happy new year all
For the second time I have just finished "Round the world on a wheel" .
A narrative by John F Frazer of 3 friends who covered nearly 19,500 back in 1896 .
It tells of a different world from the one we now live in . Hard men they all were .
Available from Amazon .

Recommended for history and travel fans.

In Pursiut of Spring.

Ok guys, not a cycling book per se but an account of a journey by bicycle from London across the southern counties in 1913, the year before the Great War - that's WW1 guys. Title, In Pursuit of Spring, regarded as Edward Thomas's best prose work, a truly great book.

Sadly Thomas fell in the Great War at Arras in 1917 shortly after arriving in France.

Don't be put off this book because it's Literature.

Jon.

3 books I can recommend if you like a mix of contemporary history, politics and geography entwined with interesting biographies of great but less well-known cycling champions:

"Pedalare! Pedalare! A History of Italian Cycling" author John Foot
"Olympic Gangster: The Legend of José Beyaert - Cycling Champion" author Matt Rendell
"The Eagle of Toledo: The Life and Times of Federico Bahamontes" author Alasdair Fotheringham

These are usually available for little more than the p&p on Amazon

Back