1936 New Hudson Carmine Club Project - Brakes and Tires

mr_gumby

rBotM Winner
Good evening everyone,

I recently bought a 1936 New Hudson "Carmine Club Model" that I saw in the local classifieds. Paint is still good and so are the hubs and bearings. So far I've overhauled those parts, rebuilt the wheels and replaced some other parts. It now rides like a charm - until I have to brake. Also I'm concerned about those weird 26x 1 1/4 (35-597) tires that are not getting any better and can't be acquired anywhere nearby.

(1) Clamp-on brakes?
At the moment I only have a front brake (caliper) with new brake pads (Fibrax steel). It merely slows down the bike but is not capable of stopping it on a descent. As I use the freewheel-side of the flip-flop hub, this is a problem. I need advice on what kind of a rear brake I could use with that frame (can't and shouldn't be mounted to the vertically drilled and feeble seatstay bridge, though; in the catalogue (cf. image below) the bike has "side-action" brakes that seem to be clamped onto seat stays and fork somehow. Do you know anything about this brake type (manufacturers etc.)

(2) Tires
Is there a manufacturer that still makes those 35-597 tires? So far I only found Kenda (37-597).

Your help is appreciated.

Cheers,
-Dan

Attachments

• catalogue.JPG
    catalogue.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 496
  • WP_20161028_12_09_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161028_12_09_32_Pro.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 492
  • WP_20161028_12_08_39_s.jpg
    WP_20161028_12_08_39_s.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 486
Re:

There are some types of brakes from this period that clamp onto the seat stays or the front fork blades.
Brands to look out for include Bowden, LAM or GENY, and some other obscure and long-defunct French
manufacturers.

However, any such type of brake is also likely to only be capable of slowing you down. They are also quite difficult
to set up and adjust properly.

An alternative might be a hub brake (front and/or rear) or a coaster brake (rear only). I think these could be installed without needing to adapt the frame. I put a wheel with a coaster brake on a 1920's bike because I really didn't trust the period correct rim brakes on their own to stop me.

Cheers,

Johnny

Re:

Thanks for your helpful comments. I'll look for those brake types.
As for the tires: Exactly what I was looking for. They don't seem to be part of Schwalbe's regular assortment anymore, though.

Back