What have I got ?

RenegadeMeister

Retro Newbie
Hello

Brand new to the forum and fairly new to biking, so treat me gently ..... please :D

Have been given a Dave Lloyd bike. I already have a Road bike but thought would be nice to make it roadworthy again.

Like to keep it original, but know nothing about the model or year of manufacture.

There are no numbers on the BB Shells or on the rear dropouts, just 'Dave Lloyd' stamped there.

Attached is picture which will hopefully be of help.

I am guessing fairly new because of the shifters, otherwise clueless

Thanks

Russell

Attachments

• DL Bike.jpg
    DL Bike.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 1,013
Re:

"You lucky b*stard".

As has been said, a Concept 90.

If there are no numbers under the BB then look at the age of the running gear, as many of these bikes still wear what they did when they left Dave's workshop. For sure it will be 1990 or later and not after 1997, as I think that is when he stopped making frames.

Ok

I am thinking of getting the bike fully restored, including a respray of course.

Does anyone know if there was a range of colours / designs, because there seem to be so many, perhaps it was done to the individual who bought it.

Thanks

Russell

Re:

All Lloyd bikes were painted very much to the customers colour choice.

However, in very general terms there were three basic designs in the 90's; one colour throughout, mostly a metallic of some sort. The design your bike is, with two contrasting but not always attractive colours, or a wild combination of colours with the characteristic sculpted shape seen on my Concept 90 and plenty of others as well as on some of the Cats Wiskas mtb's produced between 1990 and 1997.

This is a typical paint scheme (and also a frame I owned for a short while) http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... concept+90

Dave's painter in the early 90's was Ritchie Boyd, who is a member on here and now lives in Canada.

Have a google search and a search on here for Dave LLoyd bikes and find as many as you can (which won't be that many), look for road and mtb's including Beez Neez and you will get a feel for his style. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =beez+neez

Argos in Bristol did the most amazing reproduction paint scheme on a Cats Wiskas that was based on a bike that I owned for a little while (although it was silver by the time I owned it), goodness knows how much the paint cost, but if you wanted to go the whole hog then they could help. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ats+wiskas

Keep us posted, whatever you decide.. as you may have gathered, I'm a bit of a DL fan.... oh and the Concept 90 is a fast and superb handling bike, I have ridden a couple of hundred k on mine so far and it's an absolute darlin.

Thanks retrobike rider.

Circumstances have changed this for me from a 'nice to have' to a 'have to have'.

The paint job will be very special and will take some time to decide.

The bike will not be sold afterwards.

Regards

Re:

Good builds can take time, but don't forget to keep us updated, as we just loves them pichurs.

Re:

Nice!

Looks pretty good as it is! If it were me, I'd just change the pedals, swap bar tape for white, and ride it.

Be interesting to see what you do with it

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":1dxt8gr0 said:
Nice!

Looks pretty good as it is! If it were me, I'd just change the pedals, swap bar tape for white, and ride it.

Be interesting to see what you do with it

Mike

White bar tape, white bar tape, white bar tape! :roll:

It's always white bar tape with you.

Back