Today's ROAD ride

Nice views of Division the other day. Strong winds made the 35miles and 2,000 feet of climbing harder than usual.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 817
Re:

This was yesterdays ride out to mums at Zennor.

Attachments

• rps20161021_134358.jpg
    rps20161021_134358.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 763
Re:

Today's commute with early morning fog getting burnt off by a rising sun - NW Shropshire

14642375_355479248120233_9006078782493847847_n.jpg

Re:

Felt like an after work ride today, so took the long way home. What is normally a 10 mile route turned into 35!

After a start on main roads, I got onto some peaceful ones, along the eloquently named Spithandle Lane, after which I got to what was once a nice tea rooms, but is now privately owned. Still a photo opportunity though!

IMG_0643 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Then through Storrington in the rush hour. Made no difference to me, on the bike! :cool: Sun had gone behind clouds by now :roll: and the sky was looking grey! :facepalm:

Up Houghton hill, to Whiteways, and starting to head down to Arundel.

IMG_0644 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I love the colours at this time of year! Even better in sunlight though :evil:

Then took a last photo before heading into Arundel, and a fast ride along busier roads home.

IMG_0647 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Now feel happily knackered! :LOL:

Mike

Re:

It was supposed to be cloudy. warm and dry here today, so I had planned a 50 mile leg stretch this afternoon.

In actuality it was cold and damp with an almost constant drizzle, but it was warm enough, so a change of bike from steel pristine Lloyd to carbon workhorse KTM was decided.

By the time I got out the temperature had dropped but the misty rain had stopped. :mrgreen: That was until I got 10 miles in and close to the coast at Clevedon, by which time is was seriously damp. :facepalm:

From Clevedon I headed up the coast road to Portishead, yes the one that the band took its name from. I was going to get a few photos of the bike with the Bristol Channel behind, but it was a misty, gloomy white out, so I just kept peddling. Through the town and out the other side and onto the excellent shared pathway out towards the motorway, over the cycle / foot bridge and onto the bottom of Two Mile Hill... nuff sed. Except I didn't take the hill instead I went up Failand Lane which has a series of sharp climbs and shallow flats, very warming on a chilly day.

Part way up.

DSCN1272_zpsa4ijuvni.jpg

From there it is into Race Horse Lane (where Eddy Large is said to live.. or have lived), and thence to the A something or another towards Nailsea and eventually Clevedon. This has a bit of a long climb, and slight flat for about a mile, then a fantastic three mile descent where you run out of gears and where cars just cannot pass.... or in my case, cannot catch me up without really flooring it.

At the bottom of the hill I jinked left onto a very old drovers road and stopped for a breather by the Monkey Bridge... until today I never knew where that name came from.

Over the bridge and back towards Nailsea.
DSCN1275_zpszxteggo8.jpg

Where the bridge got its name.
DSCN1276_zpsot6uczm4.jpg

About half way along the causeway a swan flew right over the top of my head, no more than two or three feet above me as it was on final approach to a rhyne, amazing.

From Nailsea I worked through the lanes the 15 miles home, still damp, still cold and by now pretty tired.

Re:

Nice one Neil.

I guess those rear guards save your shorts a bit?

It's great to hear swans, isn't it? We often have them near where I work.

No road ride today, I was on the Downs

Mike

Re:

The AssSaver keeps the worst of the wet off you back.

The Swan made me jump a bit, I had just set off along the causeway which has rhynes both side and one going underneath, and as I got to that one there it was to my right.

I think it had to climb a little, as I was in its line of approach, so it really did whoosh overhead, wonderful.

Back