ofmega BB taper specifications

I've already looked at velobase, but can't find any info on the dimensions of the taper. Ofmega apparently used a different taper (angle and length) than jis and iso, which is what I'm trying to find

Re:

Are you intending to make your own parts? if not, only Ofmega will fit from the info on velobase.

I won't be making any parts, just interested. That they're not compatible is all relative, just as iso and jis tapers aren't compatible...

ISO and jis tapers are exactly the same, they just use a different part of the same taper. You can swap and change as long as they don't bottom out and the chain line is ok.

Shaun

Hi Shaun, I know jis and iso are compatible, what I meant was that they're not supposed to be (officially), but in practice they are ;)

what I don't know is if ofmega are (unofficially) compatible with anything. Plenty of places say they're not and use proprietary taper, but I haven't found anywhere that says what that taper actually is (jis and iso are both the same angle, 2' to the spindle axis if I'm not wrong).

Hi Foz, you are 100% correct about the official status of ISO and jis. :)

Which Ofmega chainset is it you are using. The 70's Ofmega and OMAS went on Campag, I think OMAS made the Campag titanium axles. The Later Mistral range which came later seemed to be a departure from their Campag lookalike days and wouldn't be surprised if they chose a different BB. However, unlike Suntour I don't think they would ditch their tooling ...

Shaun

Back