Eroica Britannia Moving to Friden Grange for 2017

Been chatting to my group and we've all decided to give the French one a try this year. Don't worry though we're not rowdy.

Particularly good for me as I'm learning French. Parfait!

Has anyone tried using (or seen others using) vintage clipless pedals at AVV? Are they heavily policed on what is and is not "vintage"

Re:

On the same subject - if you showed up with the right bike, but wrong pedals, do they stop you riding, or are you simply not eligible for some awards? So for example, if I showed up on my 1982 Carlton, with 1986 Look Pedals, as I raced in the '80s, would they say "go home child"?

Yeah, I switched to Look type pedals in the mid '80s to get lateral float and cure knee issues. I have no desire to do a single long distance ride and knacker my knee up again...

I went to all of them. This years one was poor compared to the first two and not just because of the mud.

I had already decided not to go in 2017, we will try Eroica Limburg.

Re:

a lot of their marketing and the main "strap lines" dont even mention cycling. They wont make money from classic cycling (and us!) and the move is towards other sectors. Glad that I went to Gaiole and the "real " event 2 years whilst it still had some of its original values. now the Brits are doing the worldwide marketing, I think even Italy is going down the "lifestyle" , "experience" route.

Re:

One of the reasons cited for the move in our local press is that the Bakewell showground sits aside a river in a valley and is prone to flooding. The new venue is high up and in theory immune to flooding. This I have to agree with. The article I read also says there will be new routes which will include the High peak trail (like Monsal, an ex-rail line, but far more exposed and windy in my opinion)

However, the move to a new location in the middle of nowhere is clever in business terms. Alternative food and drink will no longer be a short distance away in town (like bakewell) but will be bought on site. And you can bet the organisers will reap a lovely commission from sales to a captive audience. I kinda see them wanting to make this into a cycling Glastonbury (but with different drugs of course)

Back