Eroica Britannia Moving to Friden Grange for 2017

pigman":8byl6zqt said:
roadking":8byl6zqt said:
... Our enjoyment of the Tour de France this year was spoilt by the yobbish, drunken behaviour of the British.
unlike those well behaved French bike race fans. Er ... just remind me, who was throwing urine and lashing out on the 2015 tour?

No need to hijack this thread, plus I personally experienced the drunken, yobbish Brits (they were in my hotel), I didn't (and neither did you, I'll wager) personally experience the urine incident - anyway that's not new to us veteran cyclists/fans or Grand Tours - Roche had similiar issues in the '87 Giro, it's not a new phenomenon.

Man up Froome.

Jon.

I don't think Froome should man up to having urine thrown at him anymore than Roadking should have to man up to having yobbish people in staying in the same hotel.

roadking":svef4sbk said:
Riders are all friends, some are V-CC members - I do hope I don't hear too many British accents ! Our enjoyment of the Tour de France this year was spoilt by the yobbish, drunken behaviour of the British.

Driving there is a pleasure too.

Jon.

I do hope you are not inferring that our group will spoil your trip with bad behaviour and a British accent? Most are also V-CC members.

I last went to AVV in 2014 and really enjoyed the whole experience, hope we do again and it not spoilt by anyone.

stevevw":27811k3w said:
roadking":27811k3w said:
Riders are all friends, some are V-CC members - I do hope I don't hear too many British accents ! Our enjoyment of the Tour de France this year was spoilt by the yobbish, drunken behaviour of the British.

Driving there is a pleasure too.

Jon.

I do hope you are not inferring that our group will spoil your trip with bad behaviour and a British accent? Most are also V-CC members.

I last went to AVV in 2014 and really enjoyed the whole experience, hope we do again and it not soil to by anyone.

I hope you're not being oversensitive by suggesting an inference where none exists, I very much doubt my group will encounter yours - I'll be meeting up with French friends for a short tour after AVV.

Jon.

nonowt":324admg3 said:
I don't think Froome should man up to having urine thrown at him anymore than Roadking should have to man up to having yobbish people in staying in the same hotel.

I regret to add I had to man up, it fell upon me to restrain one of the yobs while we waited for the gendarmes to arrive and take him away.

It saddens me to think that there are people on this forum that condone crass behaviour and bad manners (mind you I guess any forum is a microcosm of society).

Plus you've spoilt this thread as you've added nothing to the subject - moderator please.

Jon.

Re:

If you set up a company (to run an event, especially) it's usually a good idea to ensure you make a loss in the first few years; it's a very tax-efficient way to plan, particularly if you have a 5-year overhead contract, for example.
Any losses in the first few years can be amortised over the next few in your accounts, basically you deduct what you lost from what you make - and you only pay any tax owed on the net profit left over.
This is easy to achieve if you pay contracts for services, portaloos, security, ground rental etc for all 5 years in advance.

Otherwise if you make a small profit in years 1-3, you will pay full-rate tax on the potentially larger profits in years 4-5; your year 4-5 net profits will therefore likely be smaller; and so your event looks like it is losing popularity and profitability.
If however you ensure losses in the first few years, it's broadly expected [of course, you may not be well-organised and thus you are making genuine losses; not so great..] but to turn a 3-year loss into a profit then makes the event, and organisers look much more successful, and also ensures that money made in terms of losses has the potential to have been used fully/properly towards the event itself up-front, rather than being taken by the taxman.

Sounds about right. That's similar to what seems to have been said in the Bakewell Council meetings. Except in the meetings they cut the show a lot of financial slack on the basis it would be more profitable in future, they didn't realise the show would bail on them.

The PR person on Twitter keeps banging on about the route going right through the show. Who cares if the route goes through the show? Seems to back up the whole "captive audience" suggestion.

Re:

I wish the organisers the best of British. I respect the gamble and the effort it took in setting the whole thing up, and it's great that we have our own version
But I don't think I'll be there next year - Bakewell town was a large part of what made it work, just like Gaiole helps make the original work. 3 days in a muddy field in the middle of nowhere is just not the same deal

Re:

Apologies guys, I shouldn't have hijacked the thread with a comment about the AVV. I do, however, thinking the move away from Bakewell is a backward one - we'll see I guess.

Jon.

Back