Wear a helmet or not?

After a friends recent visit to Austria, he remarked all the kiddies were piling out of schools on bicycles with no helmets whatsoever. This is Austria...

Just got back from Greece. Not many helmets on the motorbikes/ scooters let alone the cyclists! Ironically all the quad bikers wore them where the UK law says it doesnt apply:

Crash helmets

Quad bike drivers and passengers don’t have to wear crash helmets, but it’s recommended.

Re:

I wear a helmet, about 2 months ago, I was at a stoplight and a lorry clipped a motorcycle and I saw the whole thing. It all happened at a low speed but the motorcyclist went flying though was likely not seriously injured, he was still taken away by ambulance as a precaution. The motorcycle got a dent in the gas tank.

I had my helmet on and was amazed; and we all had to go over and help out in the accident. I told the motorcyclist, "Where a helmet, man!"

Crashed on Wednesday, 25 mph, broken collarbone plenty of road rash, bruised forehead and temple. Didn't go over the handlebars incidentally. If I hadn't been wearing my (now cracked) helmet I would be in a much worse state. I doubt this will convince the sceptics though because they only have the type of crashes where their heads aren't involved

PaulSE":3b25erjb said:
Crashed on Wednesday, 25 mph, broken collarbone plenty of road rash, bruised forehead and temple. Didn't go over the handlebars incidentally. If I hadn't been wearing my (now cracked) helmet I would be in a much worse state. I doubt this will convince the sceptics though because they only have the type of crashes where their heads aren't involved

I just read about a collarbone injury on page 1 here, ouch!

25 mph is fast, I'm not one of the speedsters, maybe I hit it sometimes.

I hope you recover and am sorry to hear about this injury, it just happened.

Thanks, second x ray Monday to establish if pinning needed, as this is retro bike I should mention I was on my modern race bike and no classics were damaged

PaulSE":3buwv1us said:
Thanks, second x ray Monday to establish if pinning needed, as this is retro bike I should mention I was on my modern race bike and no classics were damaged
Rockie mistake, would never have happened on an old bike ;-)

no helmet for me with a couple of exceptions ... serious mtb ... sportives 'cause they make you and time trialling on my tt bike.. all other times nope even time trialling on retro bikes etc.

I have crashed a few times and hit my head on the road but no serious consequences. Helmets in my opinion [ and this has been confirmed by some research ] make us feel safe and ride badly, make drivers pass closely, don't give the protection they appear to promise.

I might wear one when I get to an age where I lose upper body strength and am unable to protect my self from low speed tumbles using my arms.... this is also a problem for little kids.

I am a BC coach so go against their rules.... but heyho... :)

Re:

I wear one if I ride a bike period.

Knowing my luck I'd be the 0.0001% of people who have a minor crash and end up a vegetable.

Re: Re:

Stick Legs":1nigr2i7 said:
I wear one if I ride a bike period.

Knowing my luck I'd be the 0.0001% of people who have a minor crash and end up a vegetable.

How far should the what if paranoia dictate what a person does?

Back