trying to identify a bike

goldieE46

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone,

New to the community and new to retro bikes. I have a question, I hope I am asking in the right thread. I am interested in purchasing a bike but I am not sure if it's worth the money. The seller is asking $700 for it. Anything specific I should be looking for? He says it is a Fongers. Anything is helpful.
Thank you in advance.

Here is the original description from the seller:
Lovingly restored Dutch bike, with new Brooks saddle, new Sturmey Archer kickback rear hub (2 speed), new tires, canvas chain cover, integrated wheel lock and many new parts imported from Amsterdam.

Attachments

• 00B0B_in1WHTg7OEP_1200x900.jpg
    00B0B_in1WHTg7OEP_1200x900.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 732
  • 00M0M_goPeIHOiTgc_1200x900.jpg
    00M0M_goPeIHOiTgc_1200x900.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 732
Re:

Hello Goldie

This is primarily a UK site, classic road is mainly looking at racing type bikes. Not much expertise in Dutch roadsters or US valuations.

I have seen US buyers of old Raleigh export roadsters looking at that sort of money.
Here in the UK probably more like £100, but you can only make your own judgement.

One of our US members may know better,

Keith

Thank you Keith. This is also helpful. As I previously said, I don't know much about older bikes and I could not find much information about these bikes. This forum popped up when I was googleing fongers.
Thank you,
Goldie

It's not necessarily very old; bikes like that are still available new in NL. They are rather fashionable 'Omafiets' (Grandma Bike)

Indeed Hamster!
It is definitely not a vintage bike. From what I read about Fongers, this is probably a bike from the late 70s'. The seller has replaced several parts (I think) to update the bike but did not restore it. This is why I don't think it' s a $700 bike (in my non-professional bike opinion). Do these bikes have identification # to see if there is any history behind it?

Thank you,
Goldie

Well, value is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly it's worth nothing like that on this side of the pond...maybe £/€100-200 tops.
I take it you are in the US? Maybe it has more rarity your side...

Right Hamster. I am in the US. It is definitely a rare bike here, but looks like a rare bike in general since there is not much info on the Internet.

Thanks for the info Hamster

Back