Guide to restoring and blocking a Brooks saddle (with pics)

To be honest the pp's one wasn't in what I class as bad condition to start with. Suppose it depends what a person counts as restoring.

Re:

Bit of a thread revival this....but I stumbled across this thread before purchasing an old Brooks saddle which was in need of a bit of TLC.

The leather had flattened out (dried out) and has crazed. I've always wanted to try a Brooks and have never wanted to stump up the 40 or 50quid for a second hand one.

I released the tension on the leather by disengaging the front tension block (the leather had distorted to the point where the tension pin no longer sat in the hole in the tension bracket) and removed the rear springs, soaked in a bucket of water for a day and then chocked up using tie-wraps and a piece of thin plastic to spread the load.

Looks a bit sad hanging there!

I let it dry out over night, removed the tie-wraps and started to feed the leather with some Dubbin that I use on my walking boots. It's reshaped really nicely......and I quite like the crazing and cracking....it really suits the bike I'm planning to put it on.

I need to give the mounting/bracket parts on the underside a bit more of a clean and polish but essentially it's there. The shape hasn't relaxed since I've done it so reckon that's worked a treat.

Top thread this! Thanks to the OP! :)

In cases where the leather is really crazed or cracked and scuffed. Yo might find that the (shoe) polish doesn't shine up or soak properly. In those cases, you might try the 'hot spoon' polish technique (you can google it) but essentially get the polish on the saddle, heat a spoon over a flame (not red hot!) then smooth it over the polish. it discolours in a panic inducing way initially, but it allows the melted polish to soak into the cracks. When dry, you can get a decent shine back on it.

For the advanced polishing, you might mix the polish with beeswax, which gives you a hard finish. Obviously in all cases, try a small patch first.

OldFrank":23y61t5e said:
In cases where the leather is really crazed or cracked and scuffed. Yo might find that the (shoe) polish doesn't shine up or soak properly. In those cases, you might try the 'hot spoon' polish technique (you can google it) but essentially get the polish on the saddle, heat a spoon over a flame (not red hot!) then smooth it over the polish. it discolours in a panic inducing way initially, but it allows the melted polish to soak into the cracks. When dry, you can get a decent shine back on it.

For the advanced polishing, you might mix the polish with beeswax, which gives you a hard finish. Obviously in all cases, try a small patch first.

Top tip - cheers OldFrank - will give that a try tonight. My boss keeps bees so I've already put a request in for some Beeswax to give that a try. :)

Re:

What do people do when the rivet holes are starting to be pulled through? Bigger rivets? Was thinking of wide pop rivets.

Re:

Funny this got bumped. I had a go at a relatively new but mishapen TI swift on Monday. Packed it with newspaper after ten minutes in hot water. On top of boiler. Awaits.

OldFrank":1bp0dbd0 said:
Did the hot spoon work for you ?

Yeah - good tip that. I've applied a fair bit of spit and polish tonight and have got to this stage......it's certainly improved the appearance of the deeper cracks.

Reckon it'll only get better with more attention......

Well, for proper military shine...damp cotton wool pads, shoe polish, and rub it in, in smqll circles. leve for 15 minutes, shine with (horsehair) brush. Repeat, repeat. Wait a week, repeat repeat repeat. then meta-repeat

OldFrank":1tpuxana said:
Well, for proper military shine...damp cotton wool pads, shoe polish, and rub it in, in smqll circles. leve for 15 minutes, shine with (horsehair) brush. Repeat, repeat. Wait a week, repeat repeat repeat. then meta-repeat

I remember this. You forgot the heating the tin of polish. Dipping your duster in the lid of water.

Back