Show us your "Royal Enfield" Any love out there

Re:

This isn't the same frame but original colour.

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_8112682333_9315b8054f.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_8112682333_9315b8054f.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 585
Re:

Quite beautiful transfers. 531 tubing too.

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_8116167404_8263ddc664.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_8116167404_8263ddc664.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 584
Re:

Redditch factory headbadge it should have. Hope you don't mind the pictures.

Simon.

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_8112691340_b91050f45b(1).jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_8112691340_b91050f45b(1).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 582
Re:

Always nice to see a different and less well known bicycle marque . I think most people remember them for their motorcycles. Sunbeam { Originals prior to BSA / Raleigh} is another that comes to mind . They made some good sports bikes but again better known for their roadster models and motor cycles .

Re:

Definitely some love here - I just found a Lightweight Sports bike with rod brakes. It's a very handsome thing and if I can resize photos I'll upload a couple. A question tho: did RE have a model with support struts on the seatstays; and what date would frame ref 66586 be?

Re:

Could be just pre war, but more likely very early post war. Many lightweight frames were made post war by bronze welding. Shortage of materials and ability to create angles helped. Famously Claud Butler and Jack Taylor, but many others.

Unusual to see the head tube swaged out for the pre war type headclip.
For a bronze welded frame the bottom bracket was a plain unthreaded tube so the BW unit bottom bracket was used. The lock ring and fixed cup have a taper which was supposed to hold the cups tight. Most builders used a slightly longer oiler to stop rotation.

Pity there is not more enthusiasm for RE.

Keith

Re:

Hi Keith, RE used the Dayton Amalgam welding process for some of their frames. Something they used during the war to weld quickly. I think it is late 40s early 50s.

Simon

Re: Re:

maynardlawrence":1mblfw19 said:
Definitely some love here - I just found a Lightweight Sports bike with rod brakes. It's a very handsome thing and if I can resize photos I'll upload a couple. A question tho: did RE have a model with support struts on the seatstays; and what date would frame ref 66586 be?

Hi, might I ask you to post some pics of the brake parts, including the spring, at the back wheel. I did not take pics of that area of my "Lightweight Sports" and am having trouble re-assembling it :oops:

It is the pivot and return spring direction and mounting that I am really interested in seeing in situ.

Many thanks,

Dave

Re: Re:

COUPES":3v1rj1xw said:
Here's one that had me mystified for ages. Still not sure of the date exactly. Its a Royal Enfield Firefly. The unusual rear stays are telescopic welded. Bayliss Wiley clip headset and oil bath bottom bracket. Small trace of the original metallic green on the fork steer tube. Bought as is and very light. Had bearing damage to the head tube and massaged out by my friend, Lance Mccormack

Hi, interesting that you mention green, as I see purple in the seat bolt and front brake mounting holes.

Looking at the VCC catalogues, the Firefly was introduced in 1936 as a high end purchase. Vanishing from the range in 1940, but re-appearing in 1950, but with different rear mudguard mountings. Oddly the Mayfly for that year had the correct mounting brackets. Some models, through the years were offered in "Flamboyant" colours, rather that just black and chrome.

The transfers you posted are lovely.

Dave

Back