Dura Ace 9 Speed Blues

Re:

I tried the alternative cable clamping method but it didn't make any difference. I've got that ten speed hub due any day so fingers crossed that it makes things good on the indexing front.

secret_squirrel":2ku6w3mj said:
Poss a stupid comment but a quick google suggested the TVT Carbon frame had 128mm rear spacing which afaik is less than the usual 130mm, might this be part of the problem?

From my many fact finding missions on the internet for all things TVT I have come to the conclusion that the spacing was at 128 to accommodate both 126mm and 130mm hubs.

I am sure once you get a 130mm hub in there all will be fine. will be interesting to see if you have to realign the hanger once the dropout is 2mm further over.

stevevw":36p9bmjy said:
I am sure once you get a 130mm hub in there all will be fine. will be interesting to see if you have to realign the hanger once the dropout is 2mm further over.

The hanger will only be 1 mm further over as the width is taken up on both sides. However it will not alter the relative position of the hanger, which is dependent on the dropout thickness and axle stub.

I would start with getting the dropout aligned. Any slight dropout twist plays havoc with indexing. Shimano 9 or 10 speed is relatively tetchy, relying as it does on rather small cable pull per click.

One other off the wall thought is to check the cable outer for any hooks or burrs at the end. It might be just enough to throw the indexing off.
And a final one is to check that the small spacer shim is correctly assembled on the cassette between cog 2 and 3, not 1 and 2. The more I think about it, it's really odd that the indexing is off at first then gets better, usually it gets progressively worse.

Re:

Now, you might be on to something there - I don't recall any
small spacer shim on this cassette, only the alloy spacers.
This cassette was brand new out of the box.

Hmm...I'll need to check that.

Many thanks!

PS a couple of Majorca photos taken at the Formentor lighthouse
and the Repsol Garage last week - possibly the worst service I have ever encountered in my life! My chums all got served as ordered and I waited 15 mins for a tuna baguette that the Clouseau look-a-like and his Rosa Klebb sidekick denied I'd ever ordered, bought and paid for!! Eventually, they slapped the as-if-by-magic baguette down on the counter muttering a few (no doubt) choice words in Spanish! Must be my accent or something . .

Re: Re:

rusty bodie":1sg1v8f1 said:
Now, you might be on to something there - I don't recall any
small spacer shim on this cassette, only the alloy spacers.
This cassette was brand new out of the box.

Hmm...I'll need to check that.

Nice pics. looks like a great trip.

Use a tape measure to check the cog spacing for the cogs. For 9 speed the pitch should be 4.35mm.
Shimano are always changing the cassette design, so your might not have a 1mm spacer between gear 7 and 8, but check the pitch.

Back