'Classics and Coffee'

ignatzcatz

Dirt Disciple
5th September is the first Saturday of the month which means it's Classics and Coffee ride time. So dig out your crusty Carltons, your rusty Raleighs and any vintage velos and join us for a spin out in the Sussex/Surrey lanes. Meet time is 10 at the Broadbridge Heath village centre Wickhurst Lane Broadbridge Heath nr. Horsham RH12 3LY. The ride will be about 20 to 30 miles at an easy tempo stopping around halfway for coffee, and preferred machines would be to L'eroica specs.
See you Saturday!

Re:

I could ride this, but my collection of nineties bikes are not eligible owing to them being far too new

Hey Mike, looks like you could do with some 'old steel' in your portfolio and what can be a good start is to place an advert in your local rag for 'lightweight racing bike wanted' or something similar. Obviously you are going to get some rubbish but you might just hit the jackpot and find a Hetchins or an Allin that has been keeping the spiders company in somebody's loft. And, of course, there is still a lot of nice kit that shows up at cycle jumbles these days. Have fun!

Re:

Mike Muz 67":3bi630jb said:
I could ride this, but my collection of nineties bikes are not eligible owing to them being far too new

I'd have thought your Gitane would be alright. Ok so it's got clipless pedals but everything else ticks the l'eroica boxes?

Re: Re:

Pionir":6lcywxq9 said:
Mike Muz 67":6lcywxq9 said:

I'd have thought your Gitane would be alright. Ok so it's got clipless pedals but everything else ticks the l'eroica boxes?

I have no room nor desire for another bike. The Gitane is a 1990 model I believe so not nearly old enough

Mike

Re:

I think that anything that's not carbon is ok!90s bikes are getting on a bit now so surely eligible.Wish I could come but away!

Re:

For me anything with downtube shifters is retro :)

I find the insistence on non aero levers and non clipless pedals in the l'eroica "rules" is a bit extreme. The "beauty" of old bike for me is in the shape of the frame (especially that horizonal top tube) and not having the handlebars pointing to the sky...

e.g.

vs

Attachments

• 18_Fignon_2.jpg
    18_Fignon_2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 544
  • Road-ID-Wildman-bicycle-crop.jpg
    Road-ID-Wildman-bicycle-crop.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 544
Re: Classics and Coffee

Great pic of Fignon, of course you gotta have a pony tail, no helmet And white socks!

Re: Re:

Pionir":20z4eob8 said:
Agreed. White ankle socks should be mandatory.
When I was a lad it was mandatory to wear white socks in road races.

"If socks are to be worn they must be White"

Part of BCF Regulations. No idea when - or if - it was rescinded. I think it was a British back-lash against a Rumanian who came over in the mid-60's and won the Milk Race wearing black socks. People started copying him thinking it would improve their performance :roll: ;)

Back