Marin rear shock removal

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi, anyone any idea how to remove the rear shock from a Marin Shoreline Trail? The frame end is easy but the swingarm connection has got me beat :roll:

There is a nut recessed into the swingarm on either side and with those both removed i assumed the threaded bar they screwed onto would push out leaving the shock free but it doesnt.

Any help much appreciated ;)

Hi
I have a 98 mount vision & the bolt just pushes out once the nuts are removed.
Daz.

You may need to encourage the stud to go through with careful use of a suitable screwdriver and hammer.

The bolt will tap out in either direction.
Wind the nut back on one side a few threads and then gently tap it with a hammer and punch or a 1/4 drive socket extension bar to get it moving.
Remove the nut and continue to tap the bolt all the way out.

When you put it back together,hold the bolt (NOT THE THREADED BIT)in a vice and use some thread lock on the nut and wind it fully on the bolt.
Then put the bolt through the swing arm/shock and wind on the other nut.

Thanks everyone :D

I tried subtle persuasion with a screwdriver last night but didnt want to break anything, now I know it comes out I will get the big hammer out :LOL:

Re:

Holy thread revival Batman ....

Is the bottom pivot point the same principle? Does the pin tap out thru the bearings once 4mm caps are off? I dont want to try and persuade something that doesn't move .. or should it just drop out?

Cheers

Re:

Ah... sorted now ..it appears to be gummed up but generous use of a rubber mallet and a couple of coach bolts threaded thru each side as a striking point works a charm.

Back